Nitrogen cycle smart people help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frickmiester

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so can some one explain to me the cycle I mostly get it but why is ammonia in water with a ph below 7 less toxic then ammonia Ina tank with a ph above 7? I guess NH4 is In a tank when the ph level is below 7 but NH3 is in the tank when the ph level is above 7? Why is that and what makes it more toxic? Any and all help would be amazing!

Both nh4 and nh3 are present in the tank no matter what ph. How toxic they are in different ph I'm not sure but they are both toxic either way. The degree of toxicity I'm not sure of though

Ok thank you I was doing some light reading and fell on this ttp://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/biologicalcycle/a/nitrogencycle.htm

And they were saying something like.

(NH4), is present if the pH is below 7, and is not toxic to fish. The unionized form, Ammonia (NH3), is is present if the pH is 7 or above, and is highly toxic to fish. Any amount of unionized Ammonia (NH3) is dangerous, however once the levels reach 2 ppm, the fish are in grave danger.....

And just wanted some clarification becouse I couldn't grasp how the ph level alone could change the chemical make up of the ommonia alone

The short answer is that as the pH drops more of the TAN (total ammonia nitrogen) becomes ionized, so it's a sliding scale where the NH3 turns into NH4+. It's like a teeter totter with a neutral 7.0 ph being the pivot point.

Would you be able to tell me of my tank stats spunk good or stable for a cichlid tank: 80 deg f o ppm of ommonia, 40 ppm nitrate and o ppm nitrite does this sound right or could I be misreading or testing wrong? I'm kinda new to the testing. It's a 90 gallon tank with 4 cichlids a small placo and two small mini catfish

So since my tank has a higher ph level the ommonia is going to ionize and hence forth the ommonia is more toxic in a higher ph tank?

Thanks for link I like the diagram very nice ! But still lost on the ommonia and different ph levels and which is more harmful

Thanks for link I like the diagram very nice ! But still lost on the ommonia and different ph levels and which is more harmful
Ammonia is more more harmful in the short term, and can build up fast. High or low ph, depending on how out of whack the ph is. I've never had ph trouble.

Ok I keep my ph as close to 8.2 and is usually on spot I think that's where cichlids like it best

Thanks for all the replies you people are a great help I really appreciate it thanks again

So nh3 bad nh4 not so bad higher ph = more nh3 then nh4 so higher ommonia levels are more potentially more dangerous when you have a higher ph level

Back
Top Bottom