No Spawn Blues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting bummed out. I've had 5 Yellow Labs in my 55 for 9 months now and I've seen no conclusive proof of spawning. They are about 3" long. I'm told that Labs breed like rabbits, but no luck in my case. I have several caves and hiding spots, I do 50% PWC weekly, my water parameters are all spot on right out of the tap..... except maybe my pH, which is at 7.4. I see that is at the bottom of the 7.4-8.6 range for Lake Malawi Cichlids. Should I consider raising it? I see a lot of conflicting opinions on whether this is necessary. I also see a lot of conflicting opinions on how it should be properly done...crushed coral/oyster, baking soda, etc.

So should I wait it out on the Labs? Should I raise the pH? Play some soft jazz, light some candles, play some romantic movies for them?

Your water parameters are spot on outa the tap but are they at desirable levels in your aquarium? How old are your labs? @ 3" they may not be quite mature enough to breed yet.

Yeah didn't word that very well. I test the water from the tank and they are spot on, with the semi-exception of the pH that I mentioned in my OP. I have had them all for about 10 months and they were juvies when they were new.

Back
Top Bottom