Odd Convict Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have noticed some odd behavior of my new juvenile convicts. (4 male)

Well established cycled aquarium 39 gallon. After feeding they seem real quite hiding between the leaves of plants etc. Most of the time they are pretty active.

Is this normal (like a turkey coma??) or am I feeding too much or wrong food? I am using small cichlid pellets that are being crushed. 2 per fish. At first after feeding, they would chase each other, particular the bigger one chasing the smaller ones (only after feeding). Now they all hide. One has been hiding between plant leaves for some time. My wife was wondering if he was a bit sick. Had them 1 week.

I understand they like BB shrimp, so will see if I can find some of that. I would think those might be too big as well. Fish are only about the size of a quarter.

Water tests today are 7.2/0/0/15. 70 degrees.

Bbs will definetly be small enough for them to eat i feed bbs to my babby guppies that are like 1/4inch big.. n my cichlids love bbs even my bigger cichlids still go nuts for the shrimpys

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

.5 mm NLS thera a + garlic sinking pellets. Feed till they stop eating eagerly. Feeding SA/Ca cichlids is a little different than feeding typical tropical like guppies. Increase size of pellet as they grow.

Thanks for replies.

The food is one thing easily fixed but I am surprised by the quiet/hiding behavior for 1-2 hours. is that normal?

Regards,
Kevin

Update in case it can help others that find this.

I switched to cichlid flakes, and they seem to be behaving much more normal. Very active at feeding, and after. So, my conclusion is that the pellets even crushed were giving them a belly ache or something. Maybe try them again when they are much larger.

Regards,
Kevin

It wouldn't be the pellet, it would be the brand that was doing it. Low cost foods are high in fillers. This is why I only feed NLS

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gotcha, I was using Aqueon small cichlid pellets, and now Omega One Cichlid flakes.

Aqueon is unfortunately full of fillers and less than ideal ingredients. Omega one is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom