Official 75g mbuna build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sooooo, here I am with a tank that's been Siting for 6 months brand new. I got tired of looking at an empty tank so here is my plan. MBUNAS! (thanks to some very helpful members here) My stock list will look like this-

All species will be at a 1M/3F ratio

-Tropheops sp. Elongatus broadzulu
-Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove)
-Iodotropheus sprengerae
-Cynotilapia Mbamba
-Cynotilapia afra Lion's Cove
-Pseudotropheus elongatus chailosi

For filtration, ill be running x2 AC-110s which should suffice.
I'll be using just normal PFS and I still have to get some rocks for hiding and what not. This is my first African tank so I will accept any advice related of course! Tips before I get started are welcome too or just follow along :) its gonna be a fairly slow build but I'm not rushing this one.

So far all I have is the tank and light. I need the following soon before I start my cycle.

Filters- x2 AC-110s
Heater- what's a decent wattage? I may do a few of the small ones that I can fit in the filters to hide them.
Rocks- maybe 60-80lbs
Sand- PFS of course
Water circulation- will I need any power heads?
Am I missing anything? :)

Just found a fish store 30miles from me that specializes in cichlids! The guy said he can order me anything and everything I want! What do yall think the price for all those fish would be?

That's great! No worries on shipping! My local charges anywhere between 9-16 for them.

That's great! No worries on shipping! My local charges anywhere between 9-16 for them.

I just hope he isn't overpriced and he said he has been into fish breeding for 50+ years and 40 for cichlids and he also said he has 27 tanks with African cichlids so I may go and take a look for sure

YEEEESSSSS! Like a kid in a candy store! I have a question about sand and ph. Will PFS work? Should I try and get the tank ph to 8.2 with crushed coral?

Personally I like to keep my ph at 8.2 or 8.0 and I do it with Texas holy rock. Although some guys argue to the death that you don't have to here is the counter argument

Africans are tank raised and no longer need 8.0 ph it's better to have a consistent ph

That's true but that's like saying because they are tank raised they are no longer aggressive and with crushed coral Texas holy rock it's easier to keep a consistent ph even with wc

Personally I like to keep my ph at 8.2 or 8.0 and I do it with Texas holy rock. Although some guys argue to the death that you don't have to here is the counter argument

Africans are tank raised and no longer need 8.0 ph it's better to have a consistent ph

That's true but that's like saying because they are tank raised they are no longer aggressive and with crushed coral Texas holy rock it's easier to keep a consistent ph even with wc

Either or wouldn't it be the same? Crush coral would be mixed with the sand and constantly in the water just like holy rock.

I am on the under 8 ph side. Usually about 7.8 maybe 7.6. I agree stable is more important. I used a 20 ln bag of aragonite (has same crushed coral effect) and the rest is pfs and it works great. Each weekly wc I add cichlid salt, small amount of cichlid buffer, and prime. I more so add the buffer because I always have and don't want ph to waver. Not sure what would happen if I stopped using it but I don't wanna risk it.

It would be the same how much crushed coral you use will depend in how fast and how high it raises ph like I said I keep Texas holy rock but crushed coral does the same thing

I am on the under 8 ph side. Usually about 7.8 maybe 7.6. I agree stable is more important. I used a 20 ln bag of aragonite (has same crushed coral effect) and the rest is pfs and it works great. Each weekly wc I add cichlid salt, small amount of cichlid buffer, and prime. I more so add the buffer because I always have and don't want ph to waver. Not sure what would happen if I stopped using it but I don't wanna risk it.

What's the cichlid salt for? Is it needed? I'll do what you did with the aragonite and PFS for sure. I think my tap is 7.8-8.0 to begin with

I use it too every other wc my peacocks seem to like it. The guy who recommended it to me told me it will keep them happy and I have no evidence to suggest the opposite

I use it too every other wc my peacocks seem to like it. The guy who recommended it to me told me it will keep them happy and I have no evidence to suggest the opposite

I can't run with that :) my wife will laugh at me. I need some hard evidence here!

Like I was saying earlier about the tank raised argument it's makes the tank closer to their natural environment like the rocks and and sand do the same thing

Okay so it is needed then. I'll see if I can find some close to me. On a side note, I sent my list to the petstore guy and he will respond soon. How much do yall think these fish are gonna cost? There are 24 total

Depends how big he has them the younger and fry looking ones will be cheap but your males will be more. Expect prices ranging from 3 to 15 a fish depending on size and species

Depends how big he has them the younger and fry looking ones will be cheap but your males will be more. Expect prices ranging from 3 to 15 a fish depending on size and species

So I'm looking at between $72 and $360? That's not bad if its only 72 but I'm prepared for 250$ on fish only, 200$ on Filters and like 40 on sand and rocks

Will I need any powerheads?

That's more personal choice I don't keep any but the guys that do say it keep the poop from settling down

Back
Top Bottom