Omega one cichild pellets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have so much food right now it's ridiculous. I've gotten like 3 free pounds of flakes from contests at my LFS, and cheep add ons to other online orders, but when I run out in like 2 years I'll have to do that.

Actually it'll probably just be when I run out of my current NLS.

I'm not saying that probiotics make Cobalt the best food on the market, it's just my preference of food. NLS is very good food but I don't know if I'd say best on the market. NLS doesn't make a food with probiotics in it. And I don't use flakes or pellets as my main source by any means every third day maybe second day at best for only some of my fish. I prefer frozen/live. And I've seen results. My electric blue ram was bloated for weeks and couldn't figure out why, so I fasted her for almost a week until she got small but still bloated. Fed her a number of frozen and flake foods including NLS and Omega One and got the Cobalt at an auction and fed it to her and she was a little smaller over night and within two days was back to normal size. The only difference between the Cobalt and any other food I fed her during that time including NLS on my brothers recommendation and Omega One was that Cobalt has Probiotics. I don't need any other proof than that.

If I had to guess, she had something that was stopping her up and the probiotics helped push that along. Thats the only answer I can come up with. So I figure if thats the case, I'll feed it to every one of my fish that gets flakes/pellets just to keep their digestive system cleared and functioning better.

For fish that get all frozen/live foods, I feed them Daphnia one day a week as it helps purge the digestive system. Same idea as the one above.

I have a pure veggie flake I throw in once-twice a week for the same reason. I try to plan it right before a water change, cause everyone be poopin'

That is why I prefer Cobalt. Fixed a problem that I didn't know how to fix just by chance. I would definitely say that probiotics help with the digestive system, it does in us, why wouldn't it in them? And that is my only problem with Cobalt, it isn't made with "Whole Fish" or "Whole" whatever. But at this point I'm looking for a food with probiotics and NLS doesn't have that and of every food I've seen thus far with probiotics, Cobalt I would say is the best. Until everybody else catch's up and starts using them, I'll stick with it.

I understand nls doesn't make probiotics food. The fact that your mikrogeophagus ramirezi unbloated could be linked to any factor not food. Bottom line from a stat look not what may or may not have happened or other factors, nls is the best. If Hukit were here he could tell you why, he knows everything about every brand of food and will break down why nls is the best ingredient by ingredient. I can't put it like he does so I will have to send him an email to ask if anyone wants to really know.

I know all about it. I have looked and compared foods so many times and I know that NLS most plentiful ingredient, Whole Antarctic Krill is probably one of the best you could find. It also has spirulina and a number of other good things among the vitamins. I've looked at so many foods. We have so many different kinds of food its not even funny. Shelves/drawers full. I know it wasn't by chance that my EBR lost her bloated form after I fed her that. She was like that for weeks and weeks. I know it was the food that helped her. I'm pretty sure there isn't to much Hukit could tell me I don't already know. I research everything quite in depth before I use anything. I have far to much invested in my fish to not to

I have both in front of me, I had to do some digging for the cobalt. I do not see how you can even argue that cobalt is equal to nls. Double the fat, a little more protein. Wheat, soy, brewers yeast, and corn starch as the 2,3,4 ingredients. The probiotics may over something (at least results were shown in diary cows) but no fish studies have been done on any nutritional basis. All there is to go off is what's in it. You can say you've had good results and stuff, but it could have been anything. Without long term studies the best food can't really be determined but by contents nls blows cobalt out of the water.

Last edited:
Compared to the other foods I have omega one is probably second. Cobalt ingredients are more comparable to fluval and marineland brand than nls. The only thing it's got going for it is the probiotics.

I'm wondering if you can over do it on the probiotics, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of data out there , and if I was to compare what I've seen with these probiotic worms, it's like they are on fish steroids.

There is zero information out there, worms feed heavily "probiotic" or not could seem that way with all the extra fat. It is not good for your fish in the long run to base a diet on anything other than a good dry food.

Their diet is based off of NLS and quality flakes, it's just supplemented with veggies, frozen krill, and worms occasionally.

That's a good diet. I feed nls flakes and pellets 6 days a week. Then maybe once every other week I'll give them something frozen (shrimp or worms)

I'll say again, I prefer a live/frozen food to any flakes or pellets. Flakes or pellets aren't a primary or even secondary food source for my fish. I WANT PROBIOTICS. I don't know what is so difficult to understand. The way I'm using my food, I know I get more from my fish than I would if I used NLS in the same scenario. It helps flush the system, I've noticed something NLS couldn't do on the same fish as I tried. I'm not saying it's equal or even better as I don't believe I've said that, it's just my preference and I'm simply going for the fact that it has PROBIOTICS which appears to definitely help clear the digestive tract. I'd prefer to feed straight live and frozen food 100% of the time as that is a much better diet than flakes or pellets but in doing that a problem arose with one of my EBR. There is no doubt that the Cobalt helped with that so I want a food that has probiotics to keep all my fish functioning better. Like I said, until NLS puts probiotics in there food. It ain't for me. Do you forget that I only feed it every third day or so just for the probiotic benefit. It's by no means a primary or even secondary source of nutrition for them. NLS CANNOT provide probiotics as they don't make them yet so I'll stick with Cobalt. There is absolutely nothing you or anyone else can tell me to change my mind. Can't beat results. Plain and simple. If I decided to feed my fish nothing but flakes and pellets, there is no way I would use straight Cobalt as I'm not huge on some of the ingredients BUT IT WORKS FOR WHAT IM DOING with it and NLS does not. There is no other way to put it. Make any case you want but NLS just doesn't have probiotics and thats what this is about for me.

I'll say again, I prefer a live/frozen food to any flakes or pellets. Flakes or pellets aren't a primary or even secondary food source for my fish. I WANT PROBIOTICS. I don't know what is so difficult to understand. The way I'm using my food, I know I get more from my fish than I would if I used NLS in the same scenario. It helps flush the system, I've noticed something NLS couldn't do on the same fish as I tried. I'm not saying it's equal or even better as I don't believe I've said that, it's just my preference and I'm simply going for the fact that it has PROBIOTICS which appears to definitely help clear the digestive tract. I'd prefer to feed straight live and frozen food 100% of the time as that is a much better diet than flakes or pellets but in doing that a problem arose with one of my EBR. There is no doubt that the Cobalt helped with that so I want a food that has probiotics to keep all my fish functioning better. Like I said, until NLS puts probiotics in there food. It ain't for me. Do you forget that I only feed it every third day or so just for the probiotic benefit. It's by no means a primary or even secondary source of nutrition for them. NLS CANNOT provide probiotics as they don't make them yet so I'll stick with Cobalt. There is absolutely nothing you or anyone else can tell me to change my mind. Can't beat results. Plain and simple. If I decided to feed my fish nothing but flakes and pellets, there is no way I would use straight Cobalt as I'm not huge on some of the ingredients BUT IT WORKS FOR WHAT IM DOING with it and NLS does not. There is no other way to put it. Make any case you want but NLS just doesn't have probiotics and thats what this is about for me.

We understand what your saying. I don't feel like we are saying your wrong, or even arguing, were just having a discussion is all. I myself have seen the benefits of probiotics.

If NLS makes a probiotic food that's the dream. :)

However you feed is up to you, but there is no doubting that NLS is the best food when compared to others. The probiotics may or may not have an effect, no one can prove they do or don't. You've had results that's great, but you can't prove it was the probiotics of the food. So I am going to base my food decision on what we do know, the ingredients. Feeding all live or frozen isn't always great for your fish either, but that's a different topic.

Back
Top Bottom