Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Omg my angel is laying eggs on my filter!!

Help I have no idea on what to do next I want them to survive!!!!

Ok here we go I have a 75 gallon tank. The parents to be is a koi angel and a zebra veil tail angel.
Here are all the other fishes I have in the same tank 3 discus large 2 other angels large marbles 2 common pelco a few neon tetras. 6 fruit tetras and 4 molly.

Filters two bio wheels 400 and one UV filters 9 amps also Fuval 350 filter.
HERE ARE SOME PICS PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1593271069.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	68550

Name:	image-417738504.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	68551

Name:	image-4228268606.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	68552

Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow... could they have picked a more difficult place lol? congrats either way! you might can VERY carefully pick them out with a turkey baster and put them into a growout tank on medium flow. (enough to keep them from getting infected but not enough that they are swirling around the tank.) leave a few in the tank so that the mom and dad can practice parenting, and hopefully get to a point where you don't have to artificially raise them.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

In a community, it is very unlikely you will ever get any survivors. You can take the eggs out and out them in a different tank, or even try to keep them in a breeding box/net if you like. Its pretty common for the parents to eat the first batch though. But, since they are paired, you will probably get more. If you leave them in there overnight, our plecos will likely eat them if the parents don't.
Also, if you remove the eggs, it will cut down on aggression between the parents and other fish IME.
If you want to raise young ones, you can try putting some slate in the tank or rubberbanding a plant to the filter intake so they lay on it instead of on the intake tube in the future. My pair lays on the intake tube sometimes and its really hard to get the eggs off of it without them all scattering everywhere into the water.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmolly
wow... could they have picked a more difficult place lol? congrats either way! you might can VERY carefully pick them out with a turkey baster and put them into a growout tank on medium flow. (enough to keep them from getting infected but not enough that they are swirling around the tank.) leave a few in the tank so that the mom and dad can practice parenting, and hopefully get to a point where you don't have to artificially raise them.
Grow out tank meaning like a 5 gallon tank I have?? Medium flow?? Break it down breeding for dummy's style lol
Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

A grow-out tank can be anything from a 5g to a 20g or bigger of you have space. more like a 10g to a 20g would be easier if you actually get babies. I recommend a sponge filter so the young don't get sucked up into the filter.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Moved to Cichlid Discussion

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
In a community, it is very unlikely you will ever get any survivors. You can take the eggs out and out them in a different tank, or even try to keep them in a breeding box/net if you like. Its pretty common for the parents to eat the first batch though. But, since they are paired, you will probably get more. If you leave them in there overnight, our plecos will likely eat them if the parents don't.
Also, if you remove the eggs, it will cut down on aggression between the parents and other fish IME.
If you want to raise young ones, you can try putting some slate in the tank or rubberbanding a plant to the filter intake so they lay on it instead of on the intake tube in the future. My pair lays on the intake tube sometimes and its really hard to get the eggs off of it without them all scattering everywhere into the water.
I was thinking about taking the whole intake tube and dumbing it into the other tank what temper should I keep the tank? And do they need any special care of treatment or do I let them be??? And how fast do I have to get it from one tank to the other or does that even matter??

Quote:
A grow-out tank can be anything from a 5g to a 20g or bigger of you have space. more like a 10g to a 20g would be easier if you actually get babies. I recommend a sponge filter so the young don't get sucked up into the filter.
Kool thanks.

I want to put up the video put it won't let me smh!!

Quote:
She seems to keep laying eggs how long should I wait until removing it??
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hope you're planning on an upgrade in the future with 2 common plecos...

But it is indeed an odd spot to lay eggs lol
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koikid88
Hope you're planning on an upgrade in the future with 2 common plecos...

But it is indeed an odd spot to lay eggs lol
What u mean?? Lol
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should I remove the eggs??
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do i do after removing the eggs??

Moving them to a new tank what should I do next.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Wait until they are done. I have moved them too soon before and none survived. A few unfertilized ones tend to fungus up and then spread up the fungus to the other eggs. You can put some anti-fungus stuff on them, but I have not hod good luck doing that personally. Some people do it though.
I just put some of tank water into my baby tank. Set the temp about the same as the main tank, or just a little warmer.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Discus in a 75g with 2 plecos. Not a safe combo unless you are very vigorous with water changes. (I don't own Discus, just from what I've read/heard)
What I do know is, you'll need a bigger tank if you want to keep both plecos to full size. I'm assuming they are both juvies still?
Keeping in mind all of the other stock too.

I've just heard Discus owners say they would never put one in, maybe a type of bristlenose but that's it.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Wait until they are done. I have moved them too soon before and none survived. A few unfertilized ones tend to fungus up and then spread up the fungus to the other eggs. You can put some anti-fungus stuff on them, but I have not hod good luck doing that personally. Some people do it though.
I just put some of tank water into my baby tank. Set the temp about the same as the main tank, or just a little warmer.
That's what I'm going to do. Should I put the parents their two?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koikid88
Discus in a 75g with 2 plecos. Not a safe combo unless you are very vigorous with water changes. (I don't own Discus, just from what I've read/heard)
What I do know is, you'll need a bigger tank if you want to keep both plecos to full size. I'm assuming they are both juvies still?
Keeping in mind all of the other stock too.

I've just heard Discus owners say they would never put one in, maybe a type of bristlenose but that's it.
They are juvies but they never a problem so far.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Its up to you if you if you want to put the parents in there or not. Some parents just eat the eggs once they turn into wigglers. I do not move the parents personally.

Just to add in here about the other convo, common plecos have been observed in many instances eating the slimcoat off of slow-moving flat-bodied fish like angels and discus so many people do not keep them together. Also, due to the potential adult size of the commons, most aquarists suggest a 125g tank minimum for them. Good to hear you haven't had issues yet though. Not everybody does. Just be careful with the combo.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Its up to you if you if you want to put the parents in there or not. Some parents just eat the eggs once they turn into wigglers. I do not move the parents personally.

Just to add in here about the other convo, common plecos have been observed in many instances eating the slimcoat off of slow-moving flat-bodied fish like angels and discus so many people do not keep them together. Also, due to the potential adult size of the commons, most aquarists suggest a 125g tank minimum for them. Good to hear you haven't had issues yet though. Not everybody does. Just be careful with the combo.
Kool thanks do u think a divider will work instead of moving them??
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

no... the fish are in fairly cramped quarters as is, and once the fry hatch they will be able to slip through the divider.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmolly
no... the fish are in fairly cramped quarters as is, and once the fry hatch they will be able to slip through the divider.
Thanks for the info I guess I have to switch them two their own safe haven. I'm going to leave the parents with them.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

the parents will probably eat the eggs from the stress of being moved... i really would just move most of the eggs and leave a few for mom and dad to raise.

Tags
angel, egg, eggs, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com