One more Lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have: 3 Yellow Labs, 2 Bumblebees, 2 Red Zebras, 1 Blue Zebra...Can I get another lab? When should I call it quits on stocking my 46 gallon? I know it's small to begin with for cichlids, so that's why I am asking :)

How big are the fish right now? Do you have any idea what sex your labs are? The reason I am asking is that if you have more than one male you are going to have problems. If it were me I would have to say if it was one male and two females you could add one more female lab but not if you already have 2 males. Labs spawn frequently when adults and one male per 2-3 females is more than enough to keep the females busy. I recently auctioned off 3 males yellow labs as the females were always holding.

You have to consider the future when dealing with fish, esp. cichlids.

I would get rid of the bumblebees (Ps. crabro) asap.....they get big and are more trouble than they're worth. They will eventually wreak havoc in a tank that size. The Zebras will get big as well and can be pretty aggressive in their own right. You may want to look into some of the smaller species of Mbuna (Demasoni, Saulosi, Johanni, Rusties, Mainganos, etc.). Any of the Afra species would work well too...

My bumblebee has actually been attacking the other non-stop for over a week now. His fins are all torn up and he keeps hiding. May have to get rid of them then :-(.

Back
Top Bottom