opinions sought Blue Acara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott S

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
if you've seen my other posts, I have a few Convicts, a few Firemouths, and a couple Salvini.
I also got a few Andinoacara Rivulatus, aka green terrors. I bought the terrors because I was afraid the blue acaras were to mild. it's the salvini that concerns me.
any ideas, anyone ever keep these together?

Is the question whether or not the rivulatus was a better choice than the blue acara? In most cases I think you made the right choice.

Most of the fish in your tank are generally mild in their aggression levels, with the exception of the salvini which are a step higher. I've had a yellow acara and blue acara---both were bullied by fish like the rivulatus. The salvinis have a reputation for getting nasty, so hopefully they don't cause any problems as the fish mature.

Ha! I just re-read what I wrote, yeah, it didn't really make much sense.
so, let me re-ask.
I have a 100 gallon tank. I have always loved Central and South American Cichlids. I need a mix that works. my main loves are the Firemouths and I eventually want at least a pair of Severum. along with that, I've been given 7 small Convict hybrids that are no longer so small, and two Salvini.
the Salvini are the worry. the get a bit testy as they get bigger. Firemouths and Severum can hold their own, but I worried about the Blue Acaras, so I picked up 3 Green Terrors, not fully grasping that they get to 12 inches.
if it weren't for their size, everything would be fine, but I can't feature having 3, 12 inch fish prowling around in my tank. 100 gallon is good sized, but not big enough for them and several 3 inch fish, something bad will eventually happen.
I love the Andinoacara family of fish, but the Terrors are too big, and the blues are too mild.
so, I guess my question is, is there an Acara type that gets to around 5-6 inches, and is tough enough to make it in a fairly aggressive tank?

I should probably mention, I have a fairly large pair of Mollies in the tank. maybe they deserve their own thread, but just quickly here's the short reasoning.
I was worried about the Convicts breeding like rabbits, as they tend to do, and a nice lady, who lives in Central America says she keeps Mollies in her Convict tank to keep the population down. apparently, the Cichlids don't see the Mollies as a threat, and don't bother them, and the Mollies, in their natural habitat, not only co-exist with Convicts in the same rivers and streams, but will target the eggs, and fry.
I know, doesn't sound right, but so far it's working like a charm. a couple months in, and no dead Mollies, and no babies.

here's a photo of my crew at present:

img_3371678_0_ccc9b39b3141ca47c84e8b161f7af39e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom