Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i got mine when he was about an inch or so big, black tiger. within a few weeks he was eating out of my hand, and recognizing me when i come in the room. he had a near death experience when i mistakenly put him in with my mbunas. ( didnt know better ) and i woke up one morning and thought he was dead. well i had some hope for him and stuck him in a 5 gallon bucket with tank water and a heater and some salt. somehow he came back after a few days! very strong little guy.
now he is about 5-6 inches and likes to eat algae wafers whole. very goofy, he floats around the tank hanging around, floating sideways and stuff. my fishroom is next to the bike path and the tank he's in is next to a window. he enjoys watching people pass on the bike path.
he also changes color when he knows i am going to feed him.
my favorite fish

img_1498060_0_2258172f7e8f75274118113676f1e2d8.jpg

img_1498060_1_4b4caad345f44f1f6b27b526a24b4829.jpg

I bought my albino when he was about an inch or 2(2-3 months ago). He was shy the first day or so but warmed up to us and the kids quite quickly, and now hes around 6 inches. He's(along with most oscars) a moody fish, but will gently eat and jump out of the tank for food, he plays dead during water changes and goes crazy when it's feeding time, he likes to swim into the current of the filter, this is my second Oscar, they are great fish to have but require pristine water conditions and a minimum 75 gallon, he's in a 55 right now but going into a 110 gallon once we move

image-4275278290.jpg

Thanks guys! I love Oscars, but I have no room for them. I already have a 10 gallon and a 37 gallon in my room; and my room is like a 10x10ft box. And in the living room we have my mom's sixty gallon so no more room there either. Hopefully when I have my own house/apartment I'll get a tank for my future Oscar and maybe a school of piranhas(definitely 2 separate).

Keep the stories coming!

I've had many and always seem to have one. (not now). They're feisty when young, often being a bit hard on each other. This calms down later.

They will eat just about anything (just make sure it's good for them - no dog food or trout chow). They like the water a bit hotter, so 78 is a nice temp for them. They are pigs, spitting crumbs everywhere. Having fish to clean up like a pleco or some convicts (big enough to not get eaten and only added later when the oscar is at least twice their size as oscars are wimps) helps. More importantly you need to do a lot of large water changes. 50-80% a week isn't out of line. They are very sensitive to poor water quality, and you can see the difference in their behavior after a water change. With poor water quality they frequently develop erosion of the cephalic lateral line (hole in the head). They also need a big tank when adult. A 50 breeder can hold one, a pair should have at least a 75, but a 125 is better. They will redecorate the tank the way they want it. You can't win that fight.

All that said - lots of personality - as close to a "pet fish" as you can get. They live about 5-10 years, sometimes suddenly becoming sick rapidly with swim bladder problems. I have no hard data, but I feel inbreeding may contribute to this somewhat. It's always sad when you have one die, especially as frequently they hang on and you have to use a humane method to end their suffering. (once again, just like "real" pets).

An oscar is a commitment. This fish will live 5-10 years, need a big tank and lots of regular water changes, and keeps living even if you decide he's not so cute any more. It always pisses me off when people have them till they get "too big" and then want to get rid of them.

They're feisty when young, often being a bit hard on each other. This calms down later..

This is certainly not the case, oscars don't reach sexual maturity till 18-24 months and that's when the real aggression starts. Up till then it's nothing more than a small scuffle. This is when keeping two males will end with one fish leaving in a box.

All that said - lots of personality - as close to a "pet fish" as you can get. They live about 5-10 years, sometimes suddenly becoming sick rapidly with swim bladder problems. I have no hard data, but I feel inbreeding may contribute to this somewhat. It's always sad when you have one die, especially as frequently they hang on and you have to use a humane method to end their suffering. (once again, just like "real" pets).

An oscar is a commitment. This fish will live 5-10 years, need a big tank and lots of regular water changes, and keeps living even if you decide he's not so cute any more. It always pisses me off when people have them till they get "too big" and then want to get rid of them.

Oscars live easily 12-15 years when cared for properly, health issues like HLLE are from a poor water conditions and diet generally from being kept in tanks to small and fed live feeders/low quality food. I've personally had mulitple oscars that were over 12 years old before I rehomed them, and they lived a few more years after that. I've been breeding oscars for over a decade and have resuced dozens of sick oscars from improper housing, care, and diet. Below is my current pair, the female on the right replaced the one my male killed a last moth.

The best looking and largest oscars I've seen or kept have always been from day one housed in large tanks of 150G or larger. My current male is over 14" with the female right around 13.5".

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - HUKIT's Album: Breeding Pair of Oscars

Last edited:
breeding is another thing entirely - i was talking juvinile spats vs 8-12 long w/o breeding.

It's true they can live up to 15 years - I have had some come close - some others seem to self destruct, but this is anecdotal.

I never mentioned breeding in terms of aggression, the point was aggression peaks when the fish reaches sexual maturity..breeding just adds another level.

I'm not going to debate basic fish knowledge with you.

Last edited:
gotcha - wasn't debating.

Anecdotally IME I've seen more aggression in my non breeding oscars from 3-6 inches or so than post sexual maturity, (kept with other oscars and/or with other cichlids) but I don't doubt you've seen different.

I've had my oscar for about 5 months and he/she is about 4 inches long already. Here are some of my experiences:

- Fast grower (it's been about an inch per month so far)
- mildly aggressive so far
- Ravenous eater and complete pig of a fish
- Very perceptive to the owner coming to the tank
- A lot of Fun!

Mine has been sick the last few weeks, but appears to be better. I have to say, if this fish wasn't in my tank, it would be a whole lot less fun. I'd encourage you to get one, but make sure you have the room. I have a 65 Gallon and mine is getting upgraded in a few months.

38387-albums1774-picture13800.jpg

My oscar I rescued, like most of my other fish. I go and buy some of the fish that people bring back in due to size, etc. Anyway, got my Oscar and put him in my 125g tank. Was pretty shy at first but a good eater. Now he recognizes me, Follows me when I walk around it and looks at me all funny. Great personality. When I need to get into the tank for either water changes or move something around, when he sees that I don't have food he'll go lay down in a corner and basically pout, it's kinda cute. Keep in mind that they can get pretty big, so just be aware of that. But in my exspirience, they're pretty hardy fish and have lots of personality!

Back
Top Bottom