Oscar advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevorSB1004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I turn 14 (6th year of fish keeping) I am getting a 75 gallon tank which I plan on putting an Oscar Cichlid in. It will have a HOB and a canister filter. Any tips for me on Oscar food, substrate, water parameters, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That is a pretty awesome birthday gift. When I turned 14, I got okay'ed to build an indoor pond. :)

Food: A varied diet goes a long way, but this should help. Feeding Your Oscar Fish - What Foods Are Suitable for the Oscar

Substrate: Bare bottoms work best for oscars only because they poop a lot like goldfish.. lol. Look on youtube how to paint the bottom og a bare bottom. You can run a powerhead so all the poop collects in a corner and you can siphon it out. Sand works too and so does gravel. They aren't picky, but it is some extra maintenance gravel vacuuming. With a bare bottom, it is also easier to keep clean which is a plus.

Parameters: Ammonia, 0
Nitrite, 0
Nitrate, less than 40, aim for under 15 after a water change
pH, 6-8
Temp, 74-81

These sites should help. Caresheet 1, Caresheet 2

Wow, great response icydeath, and an indoor pond sounds pretty awesome!

Haha thanks. :)

Glad I could help. Good luck! Also, join that OscarLover site. It will be useful to have a specialized forum.

Yeah i actually did. Lol on one of the reviews of the other site you linked me was this: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407620731.732976.jpg it was pretty funny

Omg those are all in a 10 gallon.. XD That reply "900 gallon tank" < true but depressing.

Sounds like BS to me. There's no way even a group of Juveniles of those would be able to fit in a 10G.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom