Oscar and Blood Parrot successfully had fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parkster03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I’m new to this forum, I got it because I need help. I have a 65 gallon tank. Home to 1 Oscar, 1 Blood Parrot, 2 Pictus Catfish, and a Bristol Nose Pleco. The BP and Pictus Catfish aren’t permanent, just holding for a friend. The problem is, my Oscar and Blood Parrot started showing “Spawning” Behaviors, I knew that the BP would lay eggs, but I didn’t expect any to survive. They hatched after 3 days, and are now wriggling around, barely able to swim. What should I do to keep them alive? I’ve seen nobody else do this before, I searched google, but to no success, should I separate the babies from the big fish? What should I do? I’ll be keeping a documentary on this because Again, I’ve seen nobody else successfully do it. This was completely an accident, and I just need help, thanks so much!IMG_0104.jpgView attachment 1 -Pictures of the parents

Sorry about the salt water tank picture, I don’t know what that’s about

I mean.. this definitely a first. I'd really have to see proof to believe this. I dont think it's possible???? Could the pictus have spawned?

I mean.. this definitely a first. I'd really have to see proof to believe this. I dont think it's possible???? Could the pictus have spawned?

I’d love to show proof, I just need to find one of those little suckers, lol. And I don’t think so, the Pictus are reeeeally young, thanks for the response, and I’ll get a picture as fast as I can

Part of the process of creating a Red Texas Cichlid is breeding a Texas Green Pearl Scale
Carpintis with a Blood Parrot, then breeding the offspring back to a Texas Green Carpintis.
So regarding your situation; stranger things have happened. I'd be interested seeing one of your Oscar / Parrots grown out.

Part of the process of creating a Red Texas Cichlid is breeding a Texas Green Pearl Scale

Carpintis with a Blood Parrot, then breeding the offspring back to a Texas Green Carpintis.

So regarding your situation; stranger things have happened. I'd be interested seeing one of your Oscar / Parrots grown out.

Thanks [emoji23] but what do I do? I’ve never bred fish besides goldfish, should I move them? And here’s a pic of a really small oneIMG_0104.jpg I apologize for the quality, my phone isn’t exactly “Up to date”

It’s the white line in the middle of the filter, I’ve seen the BP eat the babies that didn’t make it, i don’t think the Oscar has touched one

I believe most breeders on AA have recommended removing the fry. If you don't have another cycled tank you might be able to hang a fry basket in your pictured tank and put them in that.

I had a floating breeders box in the tank, I put one in and it must’ve gotten very stressed, it didn’t make it the night in there :/

Is there a way to position the breeder box where water can circulate through it? The mesh breeder baskets allow water to flow through. The fry might have died due to lack of oxygen.

They need to be fed quite often, hikari first bites are ok in a pinch. Frozen baby brine shrimp is better.

Is there a way to position the breeder box where water can circulate through it? The mesh breeder baskets allow water to flow through. The fry might have died due to lack of oxygen.

No, I didn’t think of that...I’ll go get one this afternoon

They need to be fed quite often, hikari first bites are ok in a pinch. Frozen baby brine shrimp is better.

Sounds good! I’ve always wanted to make my own hatchery, and I already got the hikari bites

I'm intrigued. Keep the updates coming.

There are 2 where you can see the heads starting to form, the others are still extremely small, not sure if they’ll make it. This is the first time I’ll be gone for a few days, so hopefully they make it

White worms and Vinegar eels are great foods, baby brine shrimp, sometimes lfs will have them frozen or you can ask them to order them for you. You can hatch your own as well.

The breeder nets can allow the toxic ammonia buildup from feeding the tiny food like first bites because the flow doesn't really go through the fabric very well. Foods stay stuck and turning into ammonia in the fabric.

It is a good idea to use the tank water after feeding and gently pour it through, maybe a few times a day even.

The fabric in my opinion are a little dangerous. I lost a big bunch of fry before.

I would have 2 nets after they get a bit larger or just tank water from the original tank in their own tank / no breeder net.

Sponge filter or prefilter sponge on the intake of the filter.

The First Bites go a very long way, and I used a small end of a flat tooth pic to feed.

Good luck on asking around to find some tiny foods. Starter cultures, and maybe even an established culture of tiny foods.

White worms and Vinegar eels are great foods, baby brine shrimp, sometimes lfs will have them frozen or you can ask them to order them for you. You can hatch your own as well.

The breeder nets can allow the toxic ammonia buildup from feeding the tiny food like first bites because the flow doesn't really go through the fabric very well. Foods stay stuck and turning into ammonia in the fabric.

It is a good idea to use the tank water after feeding and gently pour it through, maybe a few times a day even.

The fabric in my opinion are a little dangerous. I lost a big bunch of fry before.

I would have 2 nets after they get a bit larger or just tank water from the original tank in their own tank / no breeder net.

Sponge filter or prefilter sponge on the intake of the filter.

The First Bites go a very long way, and I used a small end of a flat tooth pic to feed.

Good luck on asking around to find some tiny foods. Starter cultures, and maybe even an established culture of tiny foods.

Thanks for the reply! I didn’t know that about breeders nets, I’m not surprised though. If they are alive however when I get back, I’ll more than likely put them in a 10g tank until they get bigger, I just need to cycle it. Before I left, there were 2 babies that were bigger than the rest, I’m thinking those will be the most likely to survive, I’ll feed crushed up Hikari Gold, and Brine Shrimp, I’ll make a hatchery when I get back

Yay! Congrats!

Sad Sad Update :/ only one baby remains, the Blood Parrot ate a ton of em, this last one was the biggest, sorry for the lack of updates, but nothing was really happening, they were growing, but now there’s 1 survivor

Back
Top Bottom