Oscar ate a Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suprised

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got home from work to find my oscar (5 1/2") laying on his side after eating an inch long figure eight puffer. Hes alive but looks very distressed. They werent housed together, but thats a long story. The Oscar ate him and it didnt sit well. I doubt this is a problem anyone has dealt, but if you have dealt with something like this or have any idea how to fix this id appreciate advice because i cant think of anything to do. This happened some time in the last 9 hours. Im hopeful- Thanks

Hopefully one of our puffer experts will pop in to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most tetraodon puffers have tetradotoxin, which is pretty deadly. I'm not sure if there is anything one can do for your oscar; hopefully the puffer only had a small amount and the oscar will recover, but there is no cure for the poison.

I found him dead the next morning.
I dont think theres anything i could have done. :(

Puffers can release poison that will kill other fish. The poison shuts down the fishes system. There is no way to treat the fish once it has been poisoned. Even a little bit is fatal.There is nothing you could have done for the oscar but do not to put anymore puffers with them!

This poison release is one reason most keep puffers in a tank by themselves. The other option is frequent water changes and not keeping anything in the tank with them that they can fit in their mouth.

Is that poison toxic to other puffers? I'm assuming no... and can it be released just by the fish living, or does it have to get eaten before another tankmate will die?

-j

The poison will build up in the tank on its own even without the fish being threatened. That is why I suggested frequent water changes.

The poison is probably not toxic to other puffers considering they all carry the poison. The puffer doesn't have to be eaten to release the poison...puffers are a japanese delicacy...even after the poison is removed eating them can still kill you. About 100 diners die each year after eating puffer fish.

Back
Top Bottom