Oscar bitting pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feinhorn

Aquarium Advice Regular
My larger oscar is bitting and chasing my pleco around the tank. This only started two days ago to my knowledge. I watch my fish frequently and have never observed this before. My smaller oscar does not mess with the pleco at all. Also I have noticed that my smaller oscar has a pretty large gash in his back, I don't know how this happened. I really hope that the bigger oscar is not a bully. Any ideas?

mine nips at my pleco daily. i don't worry about it because plecos have a bony dorsal side. i think it is kind of funny to watch. as for the other oscar throw in some stress coat to cover the wounds and wait for it to heal up. probably just a little tiff over who ate whos food.

NO way, that doesn't solve anything. Talk about crulty to animals. You are saying kill the fish that I have chosen to be my pets. That is like saying you should shoot your dog if he gets in a tiff with your cat?? I know that some people would do this but that is against everything I believe in. Thanks for the idea but it is not something I could personally do!

Actually, it does solve the problem. I know people who had a Cichlid that ate one of their most prized, loved fishes. In anger, they took the cichlid out and threw it out of their high rise window(12 stories high).

The problem is that it is not the oscars fault, they are born to be a preditor. This is the problem with mixing them with other fish. I realise that you are trying to help and I am no way trying to be disrespectful. I personally don't believe in punishing an animal for doing the only thing it knows how to do. I understand that people kill fish all the time for killing another fish but I can't do that, if for no other reason the love of the hobby. The only time that I would distroy a fish is if it had a bad disease, reason being that I would save the rest of my fish and put the diseased fish out of pain and suffering. This is why I like this forum, everyone has opinions, whether you agree or not. Thanks.........

I dont think it is too big of a problem, I think the pleco might be able to hold his own in life.

Back
Top Bottom