Oscar female!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just found out my Oscar is a female!0o
How big of a tank to breed?55g?
Do they need to be a certain size to breed?

I've been breeding oscars for decades and I can't tell(I could not even tell my pairs until the females tube dropped) and I'll go further to say that anyone who claims to be able to sex a oscar visually is full of kaka. The only way to properly sex a oscar with a 100% certaintly is to watch them lay eggs for females and fertilize eggs for males.

How to Sex an Oscar Fish - Male or Female? - Oscarfishlover.com

Oscars do not reach sexual maturity until around 12-16 months on average which puts them around 9-10". I always used a 75g for when the oscars when they were ready to spawn then they were moved back into a 150g when the deed was done. Even with a pair in a 75g was a huge amount of effort, this required 2-3 50% weekly water changes to keep the nitrates below 20ppm.

Last edited:
Did she lay eggs? Did the breeding tube drop? Venting is still not 100% for oscars.

I don't think there is a definate way to tell on OSCARS. I have 4 of them, the only way I knew is watching the females actually laying the eggs...

Back
Top Bottom