oscar in 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alivenwell82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting up a 10-gallon freshwater. Would like to keep one oscar. Just one. Is that possible in such a small tank. I wanted to have planted tank, but then I saw how active the oscars are - they seem great. Is it impossible? I'd be willing to sacrifice the plants for an oscar. I know they grow big.

Thanks for your help.

Completely possible until the oscar hits 3" long....so about 4-7 weeks tops.

Sorry, but a full-grown oscar should be about 12"-16" long....too big to even move in a ten gallon....you would need at least a 90 gallon for him alone.

Thanks for the heads-up. Are there any other similarly active, brightly colored fish that don't grow nearly as tremendous?

In a 10 gal tank, your options are smaller. Guppies, Tetra's, Rasbora's (not as brightly colored, but still cute), danios.

have a betta. they are colourful and have plenty of character. If you want you can divide the tank into two and keep two bettas.

I've got a red dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon with some neons. Very colorful.

alivenwell82 said:
thanks for all of your help. do rummy's get large? i've seen them at 1.5" t the biggest.

Hemigrammus bleheri max at 3.5cm/1.4", Petitella georgiae can hit 1.6" ....not huge, but they tend to like more space.

Back
Top Bottom