Oscar in 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armenkk1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could u put an ONE oscar in a 60 gallon tank with a canister filter that does 185 gph?? it would be the only thing in there...

Oscar in 60 gal.

Would an Oscar be okay in a 60 gallon tank with a big canister filter??!

What are the dimensions of the 60g?

You'll have your hands full keeping the Oscar alone in that tank. The JD would be a mistake. Not enough room and very likely one will kill the other.

You could measure the longest part of its length. I just wanted to make sure it's not a tall tank. The Oscar needs an absolute minimum of 3ft length. 4ft is preferable.

60 gallons isn't a lot of water volume for a full grown Oscar. If you end up going this route, you'll have to be careful not to overfeed and keep up with weekly water changes.

What is the ideal sized tank for a full grown Oscar... I'm kinda on a budget so would a 80 be ok??

dwarflionfishlover said:
What is the ideal sized tank for a full grown Oscar... I'm kinda on a budget so would a 80 be ok??

80 would be great

125 seems to be the generally accepted standard for a pair of oscars. Bigger is always better though.

80 - 90 gallon works for one.

I think 1 could be happy in a 60G! I also agree with talaviri but I think you could.

I usually don't suggest putting Oscars in anything smaller than a 75. They have the potential to get 14" or more and most tanks under 75 gallons are either not deep enough for the Oscar to turn properly, or not long enough to be able to swim a decent length, but that's my opinion.

heck put a few oscars in bought from same tank at lps they will be fine

i dont agree, i think one is a little risky but imo more than one could lead to some unhappy oscars UNLESS they were going to have their tank upgraded pretty soon

if they are raised together they will be fine 2-3 is not to much if bought small yes an upgrade might be needed in a couple years but chances are they will be fine trust me they dont grow as fast as you think i have 1 and they are not as aggressive as cichlids and they get along with other oscars fine

i dont agree, i think one is a little risky but imo more than one could lead to some unhappy oscars UNLESS they were going to have their tank upgraded pretty soon

+1

Far from minimum standards. High chance of irreversible stunting will likely occur.

Back
Top Bottom