oscar lonely?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i recently, about 4-5 days ago i gave away my oscar (that i assumed was male due to shape and aggression) to a rescuer, because it started too many fights. however, ever since, my assumed female has been... wandering, looking lonely and confused.
bit of background: i bought them 10 months ago ish, they have made nests and played and fought and slept together their whole lives, i got them as little babies. now at 8.5 and 9inches, they got too rough in fights and i got worried.

so what do you think? were they a pair or should i get a new fish? is it too risky? xx

Oscars generally reach maturity around 18 months so honestly there is no way to tell until you see fertilized eggs. I've breed oscars for decades and to this day I can't tell sex them until I see them laying eggs, and if anyone else says they can they're lying.

I would not add another fish since trying to force a pair usually ends badly for the weaker fish.

My pairs were extremely rough on each other prior to each spawn, I'd have my hardwood floors soaked on a regular basis.

wow nice.... should i get the other one back? i wasnt suggesting forcing a pair, i meant maybe a fish like a GT or severum, this oscar is wierdly tame so i dont think 'she' will do the attacking.... whats your opinion?

wow nice.... should i get the other one back? i wasnt suggesting forcing a pair, i meant maybe a fish like a GT or severum, this oscar is wierdly tame so i dont think 'she' will do the attacking.... whats your opinion?

If you have the tank space available I'd get the other oscar back, mine were rough but beyond lip locking, chasing, and t-barring no one was ever hurt. But when they lay eggs they lay eggs, I've had spawns of over a 1000 fry...what a pain to rehome that many fish!

Back
Top Bottom