oscar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquadestroyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK so I have two young Oscars in a 75g and one of them is growing much faster than the other, anyone know why this is?

Is there a possibility it is stunted from being in a tank that was too small? Don't know just asking.

They both were in a twenty long at the lfs for a week or so that I know of

That's normal, maybe he's eating more or it's just genetics, like with humans some grow very quick and some don't. Just make sure the little one isn't being bullied at feeding time, trust me if not today than but maybe tomorrow, keeping 2 oscars in a 75g is a tough road.

Yea, I do understand it will be tough, can you give me some of the possible problems other than the bioload issue? Just so I know what to look for.

Biggest is one oscar killing the other, basically being monomorphic you'll never know what the sex of them is. So the equation looks like this,

Male+Male= death for one
Male+Female= possible death or babies(keep fingers crossed)
Female+Female= fighting but usually tolerable of each other

This is in a 75g, in larger six foot tank it greatly spreads aggression around.

Hey say later on worst comes to worst, what other cichlids would be compatible?

I have a gold severum and 2 convicts in with my 3 Oscars. They all get along great! It will probably be hit or miss with other cichlids for you though. I had to return a couple fish that didn't get along with mine before I found some that they liked to hang with!

I have the same problem with my convicts that you have with your oscars. They started out the same size and now, 4 months later, one is 3 inches long and the other is about 1.5 inches long!

I know I was referring to the case of me only having one Oscar later on, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I've been work for three months after my last ACL surgery, which makes the eightth surgery I've had and each one the insomnia gets worse.

The Pitcus catfish was going to be my suggestion as well. I've never owned one, but based on research and seeing them at the LFS, they seem like a good fit.

HUKIT - 8 surgeries on an ACL? Time for a wheelchair.

Back
Top Bottom