Oscar set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone its moi again! Well I finally decided, yes even with my conflicting ADD and indecisivness what to do with my tanks. I decided on taking my planted 10 gallon and move it to the 29 gallon with my DIY lighting (2X65 watt Power Compacts) and my CO2 yeast canister. But the more exciting now news is my new tank and set up. I officially found it to be a 45 gallon tank, which is awesome considering I have been thinking and labeling it as a 37 gallon!! I have been setting it up today for an Oscar. Its prior inhabitant was a large Jack Dempsey, but I traded both of them in and got a much more powerful heater 300 watt Marineland visi-therm for the 45 gallon, a lot better than the 150 watt marineland visi-therm it had before. The 150 watt will go into the 29 gallon, replacing the unreliable TopFin heater of 100 Watts.

The current tank conditions of the 45 gallon are:
1. Temperature: 79-80 degrees F
2. pH : 7.0 (Had to use pH increaser which was a first)
3. Hardness I think was actually a bit soft... wish I could elaborate but the stupid kit was missing a chart so I am completely guessimating.

I am wondering if this set up will suit one baby oscar well? I have done massive research, which is why my impatient self didn't get the oscar today (wanted the tank to be perfect!). Bascially I am just going to get one Tiger Oscar, a small baby, for the 45 gallon. Lots of swimming space and a giant piece of driftwood (fake, so its heavier and won't float) for decoration that he won't mess with. I have the tank placed in the living so he can be in contact with other people so he won't be so shy, but I'll most liekly be the main feeder. Also... I am a bit worried about the new heater, what "guards" should I get to protect it from the Oscar. Thanks everyone!

I think that will do well for one baby oscar, however they grow rather quickly (capable of 1" per month), and I have even found 55g tanks to be a tight squeeze as they reach adult size, even though it adequately handles the bioload. Your setup sounds great, I would just have plans for a bigger tank (preferably a 75g) for when it approaches its full size which could be in about a year to year and a half.

you'll need more than a 75g for adulthood, try around 150g. Oscars get BIG, over a foot and they are super messy.

As long as you don't plan on adding any other oscars to the tank your tanks sounds like a beauty. My friends and have kept oscars in 55g tanks for their entire happy lives, I suspect a a 45g will work fine. Once an oscar has determined their territory, they tend to defend it with a thug-like determination. When an oscar has grown up with the tank to themselve it will think the whole tank is theirs and any new introductions to the tank are threats (and will usually die unless they are significantly large and tough). So, if you plan on ever having two oscars in the tank, I would start off with two, if not, you're set!

Oscars are obviously heater-beaters. They have been known to break almost every heater on the market. There are some things you can do though. Some hobbiests believe that the completely submersible heaters work best and silicon it to the tank. I have never needed to do this, but it sounds like it would work. For the heater style that hangs on the side of the tank there are at least two options. 1 - get a tube (the books say to use pvc pipe, but I think it's ugly and use clear tubes like the ones for a gravel filter) and drill holes in it. Attach the tube to the side of the tank. If the tank is dry a couple of dots of silicon will work fine. If the tank is already filled silicon a couple of suction cups to the tube. Once the tube is in place just slide the heater in and the heater should be protected.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom