Oscar tank PLEASE HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KRAKEN

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 55 gallon tank with two albino tiger oscars, one is 8 inches the other is about 9 and a half inches long, very husky fish... I have two tetra 60 gallon filters that flow 120gph each, I also have two aqua-tech 5-15 gallon filters for carbon filtration- meaning I only use them for the carbon-.... I also have a bio filter home made with a 2liter soda bottle and filter media such as acrylic and things great for beneficial bacteria, I have a air hose siliconed in on the bottom and holes at the top, this creates a suction and it sucks water in for the benigicial bacteria to grow, I have no gravel in the tank at the moment and 2 medium rocks and one large , my aquarium is still cloudy, I can see through it but it's not. crystal clear.... Anything helps:) please reply,

Also I'm on a budget and couldn't spend more that aprox- $100
Thanks for your time :)

If its a relatively new tank, the cloudyness is probably just a bacterial bloom. If its grey/yellow/milky looking... thats what it is. There isnt much you can do about it except doing frequent pwc... It will eventually clear up on its own.

If its green, then its probably algae. More frequent water changes will keep down on the waste that allows algae to grow, and keeping your light off for longer periods will help too.

A lot of people & myself spend a lot of mony on inefficient filters. Then get a good one. Or some give up & get out of the hobby. You can do a lot of water changes & safe up. Or rehome your fish & get some small fish.

I've had these fish sence they were under a inch and started in a 20 gallon, and I hate to admit it, but I'm attached to these fish, Bonnie is the female and clyde is the male, the tank is not newly set up, it's about 2 months sence I had to drain and re-seal it, I have my eye on a fluval FX5 which is a canister filter that pumps 607 gph and costs about $370, i just have to wait till I can save, until then I plan on making a large bio filter to keep Bonnie and clyde healthy

First.... Have you changed out all the cartridges in your filters recnetly? If so, you are probably just going through a mini-cycle.

This is my canister filter... I've had it about a month and change, and I am really happy with it. Its a much cheaper option.

CF400UV 4-Stage Canister Filter with UV 9W - 370 gph

Wow, I'm definitely going to give that a try! Thanks! I am going to keep all filters I have now and add that into the mix, the problem with larger Oscar fish is the very large amount of waste they produce, I wonder if I can find that filter at my lfs? Hmm...

That website is good to order from? I'm new to this online stuff,

I'll probably go for the one with the higher out put, every one I talk to say how much they love their canister filters, easy maintenance ?

Yeah, they were pretty easy to deal with. I got it within a week of ordering it, and while I didnt have to deal with their customer service, I've heard great things about them.

Its pretty easy maintenance... I didnt bother doing carbon, because I didnt feel like breaking the filter down every single month to replace it. From previous experience with other canister filters, I know you do have to break it down every once and awhile to make sure nothing is clogged... That part is a little more invasive than your typical HOB filter. But its well worth it.

Thank you so much Talvari! I'm very greatful for the knowledge you shared with me, I'm definitely looking into buying that filter very soon, god bless

You are very welcome. :) I hope it works out well for you.

I'll be sure to keep you posted, I'll post pictures on my DIY bio filter when I get around to building it, I'm getting supply's for it today, it's supposed to help a lot with ammonia

I hate to say this but a 55 is too small for one Oscar never mind two.They are very messy fish and have a huge bio load.Your filtration would have to be outstanding to keep clear water in a tank of that size with two oscars in it!!!

I have enough filters for a 150 gallon tank into a 55gallon, I just bought a bunch of bio stuff today, the water isn't terrible just cloudy ,

KRAKEN said:
I have enough filters for a 150 gallon tank into a 55gallon, I just bought a bunch of bio stuff today, the water isn't terrible just cloudy ,

Your filtration won't be enough in a 55.Oscars reach 15" in length and will barely be able to turn around in your tank never mind be happy.If they're not already fighting then they soon will JMHO.

Filtration has nothing to do with it..... a 55gal is physically WAY too small for a pair of oscars to comfortably live. General rule of thumb is 75gals for the first oscar, and 50-75gal for each additional..... meaning you should have at least a 125 for those guys. And garfy's right, if your's hit 12"-14" in length, your tank is only 12" deep & 48" long..... barely enough room for them to turn around, and less than 4 times their body length for swimming room.

And the probable reason for the cloudy water is that oscars produce a HUGE bioload, and require frequent, large water changes.

I talked to a oscar expert, he told me the same thing, he said generally you want 55-75 gallons per Oscar, but he also told me the will be able to live a happy health life if I keep up on water perfection, I told him I can't get it clear, and he showed me the the canister filter he bought, it was a fluval 150 gallon , he said keep both 60 gallon filters and only use them as bio filters with the fluval bio rings , I am going up to a 200+ gallon tank as soon as I move out of my current residence

The tank is beyond 12inches deep my friend

Back
Top Bottom