Oscar tankmate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evan20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just 1 tankmate.Preferbly a bottom feeder.Maybe a catfish,bichir or stuff like that. 70 gal getting bigger though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Featherfin catfish. They are aggressive like oscars and territorial. Just make sure to give him some hiding places(like a pile of rocks) being a bottom feeder.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've wondered before if an already large pleco could work, any opinion on that Caleb?

I suggested catfish because as we both know, large pleco+large Oscar = INSANE bioload. That's some hefty water changes. If you were to do a pleco, I wouldn't go below a full size bristlenose(6 inches) because of the size of oscars and them being territorial. I have heard the larger pleco's can be territorial, I have no experience with them to prove this though.

Poor water quality can lead to HITH or HLLE (I get them mixed up) in your Oscar. Not good no no. That's why I wouldn't recommend a pleco.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Yeah bio load could definitely be an issue, I was thinking more along compatibility lines, but you're right, it would be so many water changes it wouldn't even be worth trying I don't think.

Yeah bio load could definitely be an issue, I was thinking more along compatibility lines, but you're right, it would be so many water changes it wouldn't even be worth trying I don't think.

If I were to have an Oscar, I would do species only or have it in a massive tank with larger fish like arowana for the sake of the bioload and aggression factors. Plus water changes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom