Oscar Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two 5 1/2 - 6 inch Tiger Oscars in a 125 gallon. I'm getting pretty bored of it being just the two of them, although I love them!! What are suitable tank mates for them? And should they be the same size when adding?? Thanks!!!

You could get silver dollar fish that are around 4" in diameter or large bosemani rainbow fish ~4". Getting another cichlid could spell trouble for either your Oscars or the new cichlid.

But in all honesty, you are kind of maxed out when those oscars reach full length. Do you have a sump?

On this tank there are two Rena Filstar xp4 canisters and three large HOB filters (not sure the exact and I'm not home right now :/)...

I can't find rainbows anywhere close to my area for some reason, never even seen one in person!

What are your thoughts on a Jack Dempsey or Convict?

If you want a similar sized fish you might look at the common gourami. Most likely if/when the convicts start to spawn, the fry will be food for the oscars. If you don't want your oscars eating other fish, you probably want to avoid fish that will produce fry.

Not this gourami, they can get up to 28". I've got one now, that was a rescue, and she is as big as a dinner plate. Unfortunately her previous owners tatooed her with multicolored polka dots. Google common or giant gourami, scientific name Osphronemus goramy.

Last edited:
Wow. Cool fish...where would I go about finding one though? You don't think that would be too many large fish for this 125?

At the current size no, but I definitely wouldn't add more than one. Once the three of them get full size, you may have issues with filtration. Depends on your water changes, feeding, substrate, etc. You could also add a sump at some point to increase the total water volume. Keep in mind however, that as your oscars and the gourami get larger, all are going to get much more aggressive. The one I have was raised as a lone fish, and she kills anything and everything I've tried to place in the tank with her, with the exception of a common pleco.

kelbaker79 said:
Wow. Cool fish...where would I go about finding one though? You don't think that would be too many large fish for this 125?

Way to many fish. As stated the two Oscars would be pushing the limits of the 125.

Back
Top Bottom