Oscar with blood parrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rabin Singh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello people. So I just got a blood parrot from the LFS which I put in with my Oscar. The Oscar is about 2.5" in size while the parrot is 4". They should be compatible right? The parrot is still getting adjusted to the aquarium.

What size tank? The Oscar can/will destroy the parrot at some point id think?? I

I have 1 pr. of parrots with Oscars in the pond.
In a tank never!
In a tank Oscars only tolerate them selves. Meaning only one.
I did have once a red devil and Oscar share a tank but that was a rare understanding.
The only thing a Oscar usualy tolerates in a tank with it, is a large common plecto.

The Oscar is pretty small right now. I did observe today that whenever the Oscar goes near the parrot it chases it away. Otherwise the parrot doesn't seem to mind the Oscar.

I currently have only a community tank. But my friend has had a pair of oscars with some parrots. They did fine together.

I had my Oscar in a tank with some African ciclids and he never bothered any of them. I also just moved my Oscar and Africans in with my Flowerhorn and have no problems. My
FH established dominance right off and they all live nicely. In my experience oscars are terribly selfish eaters and will always try to eat everything in sight and bully the smaller ones. I'd just keep and eye on them.. best of luck

Oscars are funny fish..everything will seem cool for a while then one day......a tank mate goes missing the heater is broken the lid is on the floor with 5 gallons of water everywhere..I love Oscars I've had a few..but be prepared lol

Funny you mention this... I had my
Oscar and Bumblebee in a ten gallon tank for a few hours. I left and came back and 5 gallons were missing and my floor was soaked.. very strange you said 5 gallons missing.. hahaha

They're about the size of mine!!! But my flowerhorn is bigger!![emoji23]

I actually had to rehome both of then not only because they rapidly outgrew the 90g they were in but from the constant bashing of ornaments and the heater against the acrilic aquarium walls I was seeing hair line cracks and scratches ?

I honestly didn't believe the Oscar could displace that much water but now it makes sense.. I was beyond PO'd when I came home and my stuff was soaked..[emoji23]

Long ago I had an Oscar. He would turn sideways and float to the top of the tank. Then knock the light and lid off. Once he did it a few times and there was water on the ceiling. I got off my lazy butt and fed him promptly.

Yeah I'm guessing I forgot to feed fat boy before I left so he was probably throwing a tantrum.. if he's fed he could care less about me... not like my flowerhorn or tire tracks... now if I didn't feed him he follows me around like a puppy...[emoji23]

Yep. I remember the big stare down well. And he would stay stationary in the center of the tank and his eyes would follow me. Like one of the Busts in the Haunted Mansion at Disney.

IMG-20170819-WA0000.jpg

So this is my Oscar. I've had him for about a month and a half. I was wondering what would be his growth rate. Since I've got him he's grown about 3/4 inches.
On a side note my flower horn is way bigger than the Oscar so I couldn't risk putting them in the same tank. Which is why I had to create a partition in the tank.

And also if you guys could post pics of your Oscars that would be great. I would love to see them.

From what I know of Oscars is they grow very fast! They are very messy eaters. They have the most personally I've ever seen in this hobby next to puffers. They are pretty much water dogs lol 20170119_182543.jpg

Back
Top Bottom