Oscars and Bristlenose catfish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outback kid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi just wondering do adult oscars and adult bristlenose catfish go together ?? I would think that the BN would be big enough and the oscar wouldn't try/eat it. What are your thoughts? Thanks

A full grown oscar may have a go at the bn, of it doesn't eat it, it may just play with it, I don't know how well that pair would work..

I've heard that oscars may attack the pleco but plecos have spines for protection

As long as the BN is too big to be swallowed, it should do fine...although if the tank is not big enough, the catfish is going to get harassed a lot...

Always open to feedbacks..!!!

Yup just make sure the pleco can't fit in the oscars mouth otherwise both fish will be in danger. I have a large pleco that is about 14" and my tiger oscar is about 10" and they do fine together.

If your getting both around the same time. I recommend getting the BN bigger so it can keep up with the pace that the oscar grows at. That might cost you a little though. The common pleco does grow faster and IMO has a lot more character. In my experience of owning them for over 15 years. Can't go wrong with those ;) just gotta have the right amount of tank size. If you don't want a common or don't have the space I recommend looking into the different breeds including the BN.

Back
Top Bottom