Oscars and Jack Dempseys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my cichlid for about a week and a half now and they are super inactive. All they do all day is hide or lay in a corner. When I first got them, I expected inactivity until they were adjusted and used to the tank, but its been a week and a half! I checked water params and everything is great. Tank is fully cycled so I know thats not the problem. Any suggestions?

My EBJD isn't active either. Had him for a year now. Don't get me wrong tho, he does come out and swim, but he isn't always moving around, whereas my Oscar is all over the place.

Is he still small? Cuz when mine was a juvenile, he wasn't very active and scared of everything! But the bigger he got, he got more confident. He is like a mini water puppy now lol. Does yours come out to eat?

I had a JD and an Albino Tiger Oscar in a tank together before. And they would whip around the tank together, then it eventually turned into a MANS world! They began to fight constantly. I ended up rehoming both. But I have heard both sides, that it can work and that it won't work (mixing the two that is). Good luck!!

my oscars are 1.75 and 2.5 ins, they are very active so juvies doesnt make much difference. iv had them 3 days so far, and already i can hand feed one and they swim right up to investigate me.
i suggest sitting in front of the tank and just staring at them. sad, yes, but mine stayed in the far corner til i did this for like an hour cos they were scared. result was good though!
many people get mixed results on JD and oscars, so its 50/50 wether the personality of either fish will mean a death sooner or later. if ether fish is getting mauled a bit - prevent a death and rehome it x

Back
Top Bottom