over eating sevrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsikins00

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I didn't think that gold sevrums were big vegaterians. I had one gold sevrum for about a month, he constantly ate the java moss that was growing on my driftwood till it was almost all gone. I put lettace in the water to try and sway him. Then his health started declining, his belly was distended and green colored. I figured he got a blockage of some sort. He did not have dropsy. He acted weird for about 4-5 days and then died. He had not spots, dots, growths, or fuzz. Just hung at the bottom like he had a stomach ache. Well I bought another sevrum about 4 months later, and he is eatting all my java moss! I bought some veggie Aquadine food from the fish store cause I thought maybe he was missing something in his diet. He loves it and the other fish do too, I also feed frozen blood worms, some pellets, and flakes. But now he is acting weird, sitting at the bottom just like the other one. No spots, fuzz etc. I also have a green sevrun that is about 2 inches, and some rosey barbs that are almost 3 years old, algae eater. My water parameters are 7.0, trates 30, trites and ammonia are 0. I also add salt, to soften the water. I feed everyday. Anyone have this problem? Is there something i can be over looking?

I believe severums are carnivores, so what I would do is keep them in a tank without plants. I don't know why they would be eating the java moss, but it seems problematic to me, as it does you, so I would not tempt them.

I've heard of vegetarians eating too much protein and getting bloat, but I have not heard of the reverse. There will probably be someone else to come along and describe this phenomenon.

severums r omnivorous and vegetable/plant matter make up a big part of their natural diet. they love to snack on plants just as they do in nature. i feed mine pea's, romain lettuce, unripened mangos, spirulina. vegetables make up most mines diet. i do also feed occasional blood worms, brine shrimp, and a few pellets with animal content as the main ingredients. severums r notorious for snacking on plants. even tough plants can be stripped by the severums. they love plants. the softer plants dont last very long. sometimes a java fern or other tough plants can hang in for a while. but severums r very notorious for eating plants. unless the tank is pretty big, the plants cant grow fast enough for the severum.

Riftlake's right: sevs are omnivores but they LOVE their veggies. Feeding them with real veggies (as Rift suggested) is a great idea and should be part of their regular diet. If you like the look of live plants in your tank, try java fern: I've yet to see a cichlid eat those, although I wouldn't bet the farm against it ever happening.;)

Not really sure what's happening to your sevs: the nitrates are a tad high, but nothing major to be concerned with. What temperature do you maintain? Is there any chance they could be suffering from internal parasites?

temp 78, could be parasites I can't really tell through. Actually he seems to be doing better. Instead of sitting at the bottom skipping out on dinner, he ate last night with the other fish. I think he is on the mend.

Lindsikins-

Everything sounds good as far as temperature and water value goes. I'd keep your sevs on a varied diet of high quality fish food and fresh veggies- and things should be fine.:)

Back
Top Bottom