Overly aggressive peacock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have one nasty Benga Yellow or sunshine peacock. He is an over zealous dominant male. he picks on everyone but singles out one fish until its almost dead and then goes to another.

I removed him from the tank yesterday and am holding him in a 5 gallon bucket. My thought was another male would step up and be a normal dominant male then reintroduce the Yellow peacock and hope with the change in hierarchy that he may not be so aggressive with the others when I reintroduce in a few days.

Now the tank is very peaceful with out him in there and nobody is chasing anyone and I don't see anyone emerging as the dominant male. Should I just leave him out or should I try reintroducing in a few days?

Tanks is a 75 Gallon and I have 6 male peacocks and 1 female dragons blood peacock (thought it was a male). Lots of rocks and plants to make territories. Tried changing decor didn't work.

decor that builds up into the water column/breaks line of sight is helpful.. driftwood, tall/floating plants, stacking rock/cichlid stones as high as possible. It looks crowded, but helps aggression. We have about same amount and type of fish in same size tank, I could use more rock work, I think

img_2657176_0_a2518c3eb948f8c65fae37750f4d81de.jpg

I don't have a pic from after I decorated. From Left to rights, I have a pile of rocks to the left then tall plants that reach to nearly the top. another bowling ball size rock more tall plants then a few more smaller rocks then plants along the right side. Plants along the back as well behind the rocks.

After setting up these different "territories" the only thing that changed is a I saw how agile these fish really are darting in and out.

This guy was the bully in the tank at the LFS. I wonder if this is just his nature and it will never change. Ever have experience quarantining a fish to reduce aggression?

I separated my bully once with a divider and reintroduced him about a week later, he's still bullying. I have 2 fish that hide when lights are on, but he has not injured them. He just chases, sometimes relentlessly.. I am going to get a bigger tank after christmas, hoping that helps

Get rid of the female. Is she holding? Could be why he's so dominant

Might just have to re home him, I had a beautiful nyassae, my favorite fish in the tank, but he was relentless. Killed a couple other of mine, so I made the difficult decision to return him to my lfs. Great decision, the whole tank colored up so much more, and they live peacefully.

Might just have to re home him, I had a beautiful nyassae, my favorite fish in the tank, but he was relentless. Killed a couple other of mine, so I made the difficult decision to return him to my lfs. Great decision, the whole tank colored up so much more, and they live peacefully.

I think I remember you talking of him before. I hope I don't have to end up doing that =(

img_2657709_0_19412eae64d4149398a85abe6eaab988.jpg

Ever have experience quarantining a fish to reduce aggression?

I doubt the fish has any concept of time-outs and will just be his normal self when he goes back into the tank (a bully). Probably easier to trade him in on another fish than trying to modify behavior.

I doubt the fish has any concept of time-outs and will just be his normal self when he goes back into the tank (a bully). Probably easier to trade him in on another fish than trying to modify behavior.

Yeah I know they don't have concept of time. I was hoping while he is out of the tank it would give the chance for another male to rise up and hopefully disrupt the higher archy.

With that being said my tank is doing great with him out of the tank. Everyone is more active and colorful. I may just have to return him.

I think I remember you talking of him before. I hope I don't have to end up doing that =(

Oh ya, that looked just like my guy. Just wait till he matures fully, his fins glow metallic blue, he will have tons of bright green around his mouth. Mine did anyways, looked amazing in the sunlight...

Not sure if anyone is going to read this since it is now so far down in the post list but... The "time out" worked. The bully spent 3 days in a 5 gallon bucket. In that time a new dominant male emerged and a new pecking order was established. When I reintroduced him on Saturday every one colored up like I had never seen before. They all took turns showing him where he was at in the pecking order and now everyone is getting along well. There are a few chases here and there between different fish but no longer is 1 fish harassing another fish to death.

Not sure if anyone is going to read this since it is now so far down in the post list but... The "time out" worked. The bully spent 3 days in a 5 gallon bucket. In that time a new dominant male emerged and a new pecking order was established. When I reintroduced him on Saturday every one colored up like I had never seen before. They all took turns showing him where he was at in the pecking order and now everyone is getting along well. There are a few chases here and there between different fish but no longer is 1 fish harassing another fish to death.

I'd still watch him, there is a chance he will eventually find his way back to the top of the list. Also when you had him in the bucket, did you have a heater or filter in there for him?

I'd still watch him, there is a chance he will eventually find his way back to the top of the list. Also when you had him in the bucket, did you have a heater or filter in there for him?

Yes I plan on watching carefully, I watch my fish to much anyways :). If he does become a bully again he is back to the LFS. No heater it has been very warm where I live this past week so it wasn't needed.

As far was filter goes I changed half the water in the bucket daily. I figure fish are shipped in less water for that amount of time so he should be ok with out a filter for that amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom