Overstocked, request advice on Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailordude

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How could I have been so stupid? Just realized a few underlying issues with my 55G Fresh Water Tank.

1. Overstocked.
2. Cichlids are not compatible.
3. Im stupid for listening to an "expert" at a local fish store.
4. A month into ( hobby, got a free 55g tank because the guy was moving. Came with 90% of the fish you see on that horrid list. Tank was extremely dirty. Cleaned up now........bottom line, still my fault. Should have researched first.

If this counts for anything: I am religious when it comes to water changes. (25%)
Reguarly evaluate water chem on a weekly basis. Tank was completely cycled PRIOR to fish entering the tank. (It took me 4 hours to clean the tank, when I got it, started over)

Water Parameters have been consistent (As you can imagine by my screen name, Yes, I keep a log and it is filled out :p
PH: 7.8
Ammonia 0 (An occasional spike due to over feeding)
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 15

I have a 70g capacity filter, Finnex Planted + Led, water pump. Big rocks (Aquarium approved, not from my backyard) for hiding spots. 4 days into soaking Mopani Wood to get the tannis out. (LFS)

Ok, so been at this 7 months, so yes, I am new. However, I have entrenched myself with "Youtube, Local book stores, etc. So far, none of the fish have declared war, but I know its going to happen soon.

Attached is my shameful inventory.

So this is where I come to the group of experts, you guys/gals.

My initial plan of action is to immediately remove the Bolivian Rams. Its amazing that the little guys haven't gotten eaten yet. The Auratus has to go. When I say go, I don't mean the toilet.

When I do this, do I put him in my emergency tank? Im afraid to do that due to the differences in PH, Nitrates.

Apologize for the long winded post. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Attachments

• Cichlid tank.png
    Cichlid tank.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 167
What direction do you want to go with your tank?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

removing the nin compatible fish, restock with less agressive type fish. But I am not going to rush it. While I am making that happen, I more plants, CO2 sys to build

Are you staying with cichlids? They typically don't do well in planted setups as they are heavy diggers. Also most of the cichlids you have are aggressive, minus maybe the acei, I've also seen a few passive labs but I don't think its a guarantee.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ouch. Rehome and restart... pick south american or african... pick a specific body of water. From there, setup your tank and ask questions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want a nice peaceful community tank, rehome everything but the bolivian Rams and the bristlenose. Then, add a good sized school of tetras (12ish), I like lemons, pristilla, bleeding heart (less of these as they get good sized, maybe 8), glow light, black neon, etc. then add another pair of peaceful species of cichlid that get a touch larger, cleithracara maronii (keyhole) is a great choice. From there, you can add some catfish such as corydora (6-8 I'd say), or hoplo cats (2-3) or porthole catfish (1-2). Call it a day at there! As for the tank set up, driftwood with some rocks dug into the sand at areas. You can add fake plants, or real plants (if you're just diving into fish, I'd recommend starting with fake and slowly switching to real as you gain experience). This is a good setup for movement, and while not super colorful, it is full of interesting behavior and will be peaceful and generally a harmonious mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The ones in danger are the Rams, they could become food for some of the other much bigger guys, I'm not familiar with the bristlenose.
The bigger cichlids, well, though I don't recommend it, I have seen mixed tanks with south Americans and Africans but it's not something I would do. The Jack Dempsey might grow faster than the others and "can" become agressive.
If you want all cichlids, how about an all African cichlid tank, some of the smaller mbunas?

thank you for all of your suggestions :). Went to a local fish store that I trust and has a great reputation. gave most of my cichlids to them. separated the rams, still alive :) to them. time to start over, much much more knowledgeable now.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom