Oxygen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmats

Aquarium Advice Freak
75 gallon tank. Fluval 406. One flowerhorn one Pleco.

Water is fine let's not even go there.

When I used to have Africans I needed to put an air stone in the tank because the fish weren't getting enough oxygen.

Now I that I got rid of them, I took the air stone out. The fish still aren't getting enough oxygen.

I hate the air stone. I hate the noise it makes. I hate the way it looks. I hate everything about it. I don't want an air stone in my tank.

How do I get oxygen into this tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No =\ I was advised not to do plants with the flowerhorn.

Try to direct your filter output so that it disturbs the top of the water for better gas exchange. Why do you think there isn't enough oxygen, whats the temp?

Because whenever I take the air stone out the fish swim to the top for oxygen. The temp is 78F.

I never used an air stone and never had a problem. I run 2 filters and do 75% weekly water changes with full substrate vac and that's it.

Something doesn't seem right. Does your filter ripple the water? They're should be enough oxygen in the tank for two fish. I've never ran an air stone. Also believe the flowerhorns like slightly warmer water, 80-82°

Also I will leave the stock alone as far as water quality goes but flower horns are good for plucking the eyes out of plecos just like red devils.

My Pleco already has some battle wounds and it's only been about a week. My filter wasn't rippling the top of the water but I just tweaked the output and took your advice on raising the temp. Everything seems better now.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428455390.910498.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428455406.395266.jpg

Check out those battle wounds

You say your water params are fine, but what exactly are they? I believe gasping is a sign of ammonia poisoning. Not saying your not cycled, but lets just rule that out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wrangler, my ammonia is slim to none. The fish stopped when I fixed the output on the filter. This tank has been running for 6 mo they, just with different fish.

Wrangler, my ammonia is slim to none. The fish stopped when I fixed the output on the filter. This tank has been running for 6 mo they, just with different fish.

Ok, just something to cross off the list of possible causes to the gasping. Glad you found the solution

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom