Pairing off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
This maybe a silly question but can fish be confused about the sex of another until it reaches a certain age. For example I put 2 fish in together hoping for them to breed but it was difficult to sex them at their size so I took a gamble. First few weeks one was chasing the other so thought maybe they were either both male or both female. Noticed a change in behavior today. Rather than chasing it is now following and looking a lot more also flaring it's gills. They are 2 blue acara. One is def more colourful than the other and the sizes differ slightly. I'm just wondering what's going on. Could flaring gills mean showing off to a female or just a sign of aggression. Also noticed the other being more adventurous now and not hiding away as much.

The short answer is yes, fish do not always react to a fish of the opposite gender until they are actually breeding age-ish. In general, many young fish school (or at least hang out together) due to a safety in numbers strategy. Fish that grow up to be territorial breeds (cichlids for example) will phase out of the bigger social groups and start to react to the opposite gender as more than just a swimming mate. Of course, we cannot ask them if they have been clear about the gender the whole time however.
As for the specifics of this species, I have moved this thread to the cichlid section so people with cichlid experience will see it and be able to help you out a bit more.

Last edited:
The short answer is yes, fish do not always react to a fish of the opposite gender until they are actually breeding age-ish.
As for the specifics of this species, I have moved this thread to the cichlid section so people with cichlid experience will see it and be able to help you out a bit more.

Thank you very much.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom