Peaceful community cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michellev512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gallon that I am thinking of restocking...but I would like to keep my cory cats and plecos and my pearl gourami.

My tap is hard water and has a ph of 7.6-7.8

I would like to get 1 or 2 larger pretty fish..

So far I have come up with geophagus red head tapajos. I've read they are hardy and adaptable to harder water...

Any suggestions?

I have a 75 gallon that I am thinking of restocking...but I would like to keep my cory cats and plecos and my pearl gourami.

My tap is hard water and has a ph of 7.6-7.8

I would like to get 1 or 2 larger pretty fish..

So far I have come up with geophagus red head tapajos. I've read they are hardy and adaptable to harder water...

Any suggestions?

Keyhole cichlids aren't a bad choice.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I've had a few different geophagus species, including tapajo and surinamensis. I've never, ever had any issues with them being aggressive. In fact they've always been very peaceful in all of the tanks I've had them in, and I've never found them to be fussy about water quality either. I highly recommend them.

It says keyholes are shy and reclusive. Any experience with this?

They *typically* are only shy when the tank is low on cover/place to hide, or when in a tank with more robust and aggressive species

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I personally wouldn't recommend geos for a 75. I've tried it and it's not ideal. If you like geos, check out guianacara species. They're like a keyhole and geophagus mix, super fun genus that I've been fond of for a while, I have guianacara cf. dacrya personally

My keyholes aren't shy, but they can be skittish. Like if I'm cleaning the glass or something like that. They will dart to the back corner & hide. I think a 75 might be overkill unless you have a bunch maybe. Mine may not be full grown. I think they're 4" or so. They have a ton of personality and are great eaters in a peaceful community. They have a really cool profile and change from light to dark. Sometimes I can't even see they're keyholes. Mine are super healthy, but they won't add any color if that's what you're after. I have three in a 56 gallon. Definitely don't regret getting them.

Blood parrots are cute but I worry about the issues with their inbreeding.

I was wondering how a trio of redhead tapajos would do if I could get only females. I've read the males get quite aggressive while breeding...

If the tank is not planted how about a couple red spot severums or rotkeil's. Mine never bothered any one except a nudge between them selves.

An old picture of one of my red spots

attachment.php

Those are adorable. I have both fake and live plants. I'm not great at keeping my plants alive so I wouldn't be heart broken if they got uprooted.

Thank you for the suggestion. Going to look into them..

Those are adorable. I have both fake and live plants. I'm not great at keeping my plants alive so I wouldn't be heart broken if they got uprooted.

Thank you for the suggestion. Going to look into them..

They wont up root them but they will eat them. I tried to do a sword plant and over night they ate all the leaves. There was green poop everywhere.

So do you keep any large tetras with them?

Seems like cory cats do well...

I also have a tiny apistogramma macmasteri I would like to keep. She had popeye and her eye is scarred over. Kind of attached to her. Do you think it would be an issue?

I had scissor tail rasboras and corys with them. Never had a problem. Just had to make sure everyone got food.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had scissor tail rasboras and corys with them. Never had a problem. Just had to make sure everyone got food.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you know of any good sellers that might have them? The rotkeil...

Back
Top Bottom