Peacock cichlids??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjordan16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HEy everyone! I'm new to this forum!! I've owned cichlids for around 3-4 years now, and recently after purchasing some (unknown) ich infested acei cichlids, I lost my ENTIRE established electric yellow tank!
Any suggestions for what to restock with? I'm want some cichlids that aren't overly aggressive, but aren't boring...I was thinking peacock cichlids, but since only the males color up would the tank be drab and boring? And which fish for tank mates?

Thanks in advance!

You could do an all male peacock tank and put plecos, catfish and you may get a way with yellow labs. But you'll need to keep a good eye on them as they get bigger.

Agreed with Andrew. An all male peacock tank IMO will look stunning.
You can add syno catfish and maybe yellow lab as well,

Thanks so much for the input guys! Although I don't want to do an all male tank because I want them to breed

The thing with peacock is that they cross breed quite easily, unless you keep only one species you are bound to have hybrids.

What other fish you have in mind?

Yes I've read that, and I actually would have a problem with that, and it would be pretty cool! (I don't sell any of my fish)
I was also interested in rusties, ive read that they can share a tank with peacocks, but I'm not sure if any of my local stores carry them
And demasonis would be cool!

I'm sorry *wouldnt lol its still hard for me to type with the iPod keypad

Rusties are generally not very aggressive.
Demasoni could be very aggressive and it's best to get a group of them like 12 to help spread the aggression.
I never had them before but read about them.
Other people might be able to give some advice.

Jjordan16 said:
Yes I've read that, and I actually would have a problem with that, and it would be pretty cool! (I don't sell any of my fish)
I was also interested in rusties, ive read that they can share a tank with peacocks, but I'm not sure if any of my local stores carry them
And demasonis would be cool!

I would most definitely stay away from the demasoni they are known to be very aggressive. Rusty imo can be very aggressive while breeding so you would have to keep an eye on them during that time for sure. In all reality your better off just doing an all peacock tank. Mixing them with mbuna can cause more trouble then its worth imo.

Ok thanks! Ill definitely skip on the demasonis!
If I weren't going to do a peacock tank (I still haven't decided) what are cynotilapia afra jalo reef like? And what tank mates are the best?

Jjordan16 said:
Ok thanks! Ill definitely skip on the demasonis!
If I weren't going to do a peacock tank (I still haven't decided) what are cynotilapia afra jalo reef like? And what tank mates are the best?

I don't own a Jalo Reef so I can't say from that. It's listed as mildly aggressive so should be kept with mild aggressive mbuna. So anything on this list from our members that's listed as mild should go with it. If you have any questions on any of the fish that's listed you would be best to pm the member that posted it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...393.html?highlight=mbuna+peacock+hap+pictures

Hope this helps

I have what started out to be an all-male tank but found out that 2 were girls. Caused chaos in the tank. right now i have a dragonblood, eureka red & c. moori with yellow labs & yellow-tailed acei. Now problems so far. Good Luck

Ok that helps! That's a lot! I'll probably do something like that

Oh really! Thanks for the info! The tank that you have now has female and male peacocks? Or just male?

Srry about the 2 responses the first one had a problem posting...then I guess it posted anyway... Lol

Back
Top Bottom