Peacock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ousig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 18 juvenile peacocks. As I start watching them, will the females do any chasing or just males? I'm starting see some chase others and not sure if that is a way to tell males from females.

Thanks in advance.

The easiest way is females don't color up they stay either silver, brown, or dull green. The fins on males sometimes tend to be more pointy

You just have to wait when they all start getting color the ones that don't are either female or maybe subdominant males

Either way you will know because they will start fighting simply remove the females and they will stop fighting so much

I have 18 juvenile peacocks. As I start watching them, will the females do any chasing or just males? I'm starting see some chase others and not sure if that is a way to tell males from females.

Thanks in advance.

You just got these fish so they are creating their pecking order. Some species are more agressive than others. You could start by taking out some of the sub dominant fish that are really getting pcked on. Grow them in that 30 gallon that you mentioned in the other thread. Remember that sub dominant males will not color up very quickly.
You should research the fsh that you have and before you buy any additional fish. Cichlid forum is a great place to review rofiles of fish.
I just saw a fish called a Crazy Fish or Butis Butis. After researching on the net i knew this fish was not for me, even though they look cool.

Back
Top Bottom