PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
View attachment 262386ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422322365.759596.jpg

Why does my ph drastically drop when I add this? My fish tank water is on the right and my tap water is on the left. Should I stop using water conditioner? Has anyone else noticed this?

I currently stock NW cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What conditioner are you using?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do not stop using conditioners/dechlorinators no matter what, or you will probably lose fish at next water change.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like the image did not attach. Sorry.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422325252.069803.jpg

I can see the image. But I use seachem prime and have no problem with pH declines due to it's use. What do you have in the tank.

Sent from my Z970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I only use seachem products except for api test kits and then cichlid sludge destroyer by api also.

Currently 1 convict and 1 severum. I know it is definitely the conditioner and not anything in the tank. I put tap water in a container and let it sit for a day with the conditioner.

What is your pH after the conditioner is added or your test doesn't go that low? I think your fish are good around 7 though aren't they? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it and use what you have left with that conditioner till its all gone than try the prime by seachem.

Water with conditioner was on the right. I am not sure what the ph is since the chart does not go that low.

Yeah I gotcha but are the fish looking okay and breathing fine? If so I would not sweat it too much just switch to prime when you finish that off.

Figured it out. Water straight off the faucet always has a higher pH than water that sits out for 24+ hours. Therefore the conditioner is not what's dropping the pH.

Yeah, I never leave my water out, I put it right in my 5 gallon bucket with prime and make sure that the water is relatively the same temp then pour it in the tank. Glad you figured it out though.

Back
Top Bottom