ph in cichlid tank (80)gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostking010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it safe to use baking soda with the fish in the tank still or do I need to remove them

im not an expert on this, but i think having a stable pH is more important than the actual pH itself. unless its like 5 i think you would be okay.

Yeah, I would shy away from using baking soda in the tank-with or without fish. As previously said, a steady ph is much better than one right on the mark one day, then out of whack from the nitrogen cycle a few days later. I would add limestone or crushed coral if you want to increase the ph

i bought mine at lowes. it was like 5.00 per slab of rock. i grabbed the biggest one, and broke it into pieces. 2-3 slabs would prob be okay.

Thnxs for the help my ph is now at a 2.5 so I was told it was too low but I have 9 chichlids in the tank for like 2 months I was told they was used to it but new fish would get shocked and die so hopfully the lime. Stone helps LOL

Thnxs for the help my ph is now at a 2.5 so I was told it was too low but I have 9 chichlids in the tank for like 2 months I was told they was used to it but new fish would get shocked and die so hopfully the lime. Stone helps LOL

I am curious as to how your pH could be 2.5. unless it is a typo. What are you using to test it?

Srry the ph is 6 and the alkalinity is 25 so supposely its too low that's why new fish die

Baking soda is safe in the aquarium. Dissolve it in a cup of tank water first. Use is small amounts...changes in Ph should be done gradually. As others have said and I agree totally, a stable Ph is what is important. If you can add things like crushed coral it will help you maintain the ph you want.

Your pH should be 8.2 - 8.4 for African Cichlids. FYI ammonia is much more toxic at lower pH which is why it is so important not to let it crash (when you get fish). Holey rock or other forms of Limestone will help keep your tank buffered. You can also use Aragonite as your substrate. Hope that helps.

Yea I'm thinking of just going to home depo and buy some lime stone plus it will look good in my tank I have a natrual rock theme going so it raises my ph and look good in my tank

Using baking soda will only be a temporary fix. You need to find a way to buffer the conditions continuously. Either look into a cichlid salt to always add during water changes or as mentioned find some hard rocks (some lava rock, limestone) - just remember to put a rock in a bucket of water and add vinegar and see if it bubbles. Also make sure to test that water after several hours to see what it will do to your tank water.

Hold on if it bubbles is that good I know if u put vinigar just on the limestone it bubbles

Back
Top Bottom