Ph vs Gh vs Kh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20GL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello dear AA members!
I think this is a silly question, but I thought I would through out there:

Background:
I have a cycled 20 gallon long tank with a pair of GBR. They are great: active, food gobbling, showing colors, already laid eggs once. The PH in my tank is high (as best I can tell it reads 8.0 on the API drip test, though on the strips it read at 7.0 - pretty inaccurate). All other readings are within norm: amm=0; Ni=0; Na=5. Water change schedule is 25% once a week. Ph out of the tap is 8.6. I don't want to mess with the ph since the fish seem to be doing great.

Question:
If the PH is high (8.0), but the KH and GH readings are at 0, do I have soft water? Will the GBR be ok? Or should I try to play around with PH in one of my other 3 tanks and move them if I am successful? How concerned should I be?
I know fish can adapt to ph and that consistency is healthier than messing with the chemistry, but I want to be sure.

My GBR are now my favorite fish! I want to keep them healthy since they are doing so well!

Thanks!

The pH may be ok, so long as it is stable. With KH and GH readings of 0, however, I would think you would have some pH fluctuation. What kind of water are you using in the tank?

Thank you, Fort384! Good questions. The 0 results are from the API test strips. I got liquid tests for Gh and kh which I will do tomorrow after work. I will post my results ASAP. My water is from my tap- comes from hetch-hetchy reservoir. I treat it with kordon novaqua plus.

Sorry - crazy couple of days here. I really appreciate the help though! I do not have a softener - the water coming out of the tap is untreated.

I just did the drop test.
GH - 4 drops - ppm = 71
KH - between 2 and 3 drops - ppm = 35-53

Does that make more sense?

Yes that is much better. I would say you'll be just fine with that water so long as pH remains stable.

Back
Top Bottom