Phillipine Blue Angelfish?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl1385

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! I just have a question- I saw an add on craigslist near me for these Phillipine Blue Angelfish.
The guy is asking $5 a piece for them or 5/$20.
I was wondering if anyone knows/has these beautiful fish and if you can tell me more about them.
I have a 37 gallon established tank that I'm looking to "re-stock". I only have 3 platy's and a BN Pleco in my tank now.
I sent the guy a message a few minutes ago- I'm waiting for a response.
I'm not sure if buying from Craigslist is safe/recommended. And what I should be asking/looking for if/when I go look at these fish.
Thank you so much in advance for your help!

That price seems a little low but if you can see some that look like they're in good shape I would definitely suggest a pair.

Ok- any particulars as for their requirements? I've never had an Angelfish- so I don't want to get a pair and kill them :-(

If you're really concerned about the Craigslist thing then you may want qt them before so that nothing gets transferred to your tank, but that probably be a big hospital tank haha. I love the blue and hope to get some soon. Not too many breeders on CL at all here though, would have to ship them online. Good luck! I'm jealous

Hey guys.
The guy I'm talking to about the PBA sent me this picture of the parents.
Just wanted some input on the looks of them. I'm nervous about buying fish from someone and I have NO idea what conditions they've been in.
Does this look like a PBA?
Thanks again.

Attachments

• image-3064784147.jpg
    image-3064784147.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 137
Yes, it is a blue zebra. Nice looking fish. 5 bucks is a good price for the offspring. I would buy them, but just be sure to make the transaction as safe as possible since it is someone you don't know. If possible, arrange to meet the seller in a public place where there are lots of people around.

Or just make sure you have some one else with you. If your a girl a bf, husband, brother etc but public place is the safest I agree.

The parent is a beautiful fish, and that is a really good price for them. I agree that you should bring someone with you and try to meet in a public place if possible. And just to err on the side of caution, tell someone else where you are going and when you should be back. You can never be too cautious!
As for angelfish care, I keep mine at around 78F at a ph of about 7.6 and they do fine. I feed frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, high quality flakes and shrimp pellets. I have a group of pinoy angels growing out right now, which are derived from phillipine blues. If you want a pair, I would recommend you buy a group of 5 or 6 and let them grow out and hopefully some will pair up. Then you should rehome or sell the others, as your tank isn't big enough for that many adult angels, not to mention angels can be a bit aggressive to one another as adults if they aren't paired. They are near impossible to sex, so letting a group pair naturally is the best way to ensure a male/female pair. Lots of good food and frequent water changes will help them grow quickly. Good luck! I absolutely love angels, I ended up buying a larger tank recently just so I could have some again. I had a breeding pair a couple years ago that I adored and I just had to get some again.

Thank you guys so much! I got 4, hoping to have one breeding pair ( cross my fingers for 2)
They are acclimating right now- what is the least stressful way????
The parents were GORGEOUS!!!!! The guy said my new babies are approx. 2 and 1/2 months old.

I did, Vanimal! Thanks!!!! Any advice for proper acclimating???? I litterally just walked in the door!!!!

Yeah. He was VERY NICE.
He has a "breeding room". Tanks were spotless. The parents seem very happy.
He has the blue pair, black/yellow pair, koi colored pair and another pair... Forgive me for not knowing the proper names- this is my first angelfish dealing. I'm so happy!!!!
His son has his tank in his room- 75 gallon Angelfish/Discus tank.
What's the easiest way of getting them from the bag where I've been acclimating them with my water into my tank? Can I use the net or will that damage their "whiskers"?

What I do is float for 10 min.
add a little tank water
float another 10 min
add a little more tank water
float another 10 min
then net out of bag.
If you cant net with the bag ( bag to small )
pour into net over bucket then add to tank
I never add the bag water to the tank and do all this with the light off
Then i wait at least 30 before turning the light on.

Ok thank you so much. That's what I've been doing, so I feel a lot better.
I'm about 5 minutes away from adding them to my tank!!!! I am so excited!!!!

Back
Top Bottom