Pike Cichlid Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amazonian13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

I currently have two Pike Cichlids in my 150 gallon tank. One is a male at 8" and was sold to me as a "Purple Pike Cichlid" which I know does not exist as labeled, but being a huge Pike Cichlid species fan recognized the fish at 100$ as a probable steal. I am waiting right now for him to come out in the light for a good photo opportunity to ask your opinions as well, but I think he is a crenicichla Tapjos Red sp. due to the beautiful deep red dorsal fin and shining body. Anyway, due to my habit of purchasing fish I believe will work out together without doing the research I need to I purchased a female Tapajos red sp. who is about 6'". Although, she is a female I now think from seeing how exquisite her golden coloring is that he is probably a different species of crenicichla but have no idea what. Point is they both look amazing together, problem is although I knew many crenicichla have a reputation for being tremendously aggresive fish, I had my male for over 6 months with a tigrinus and other bass and he never bothered them at all. However, I didn't realize the fact that they are known to bully females to death because they are so into them all the time. This is obviously a problem. I have a shelter set up for the female she stays in that he cant get into at all, but I hate that my beautiful lady only comes out maybe three times a day for a minute or so and is constantly living in hiding. Question is though, are they a species where I could add another or two more females and have a harem situation where aggression is spread out type of deal? Or would he probably just kill all of them all etc.? any advice appreciated thanks

Got some pics pretty dark though, can anyone ID? When he is in light and excited he also gets a thick black lateral line that runs throughout his whole head and down his entire length...

Attachments

• fish 026.jpg
    fish 026.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 174
  • fish 029.jpg
    fish 029.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 164
  • fish 030.jpg
    fish 030.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 158
seems to be right thanks! got some better shots in the light tonight anyone have personal experience with these or similar crenicichla?

Attachments

• ish 023.jpg
    ish 023.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 206
  • ish 020.jpg
    ish 020.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 275
  • ish 015.jpg
    ish 015.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 194
If I'm not mistaken its a Crenicichla sp. "Red Atabapo" not sure if its I or II, 5x5 would know for sure which form/location it is.

I'm not a huge fan of those Snakey fish but that's a nice looking one for sure

yea im pretty confident now that it is a Crenicichla lugubris Atabapo and not the Crencichla sp. Atabapo I or II but a beautiful fish yes.

Amazonian13 said:
yea im pretty confident now that it is a Crenicichla lugubris Atabapo and not the Crencichla sp. Atabapo I or II but a beautiful fish yes.

I believe Mog is correct that it is the Crenicichla sp. "Red Atabapo 1" based on the markings. Typically sold as the red fire pike.

Lugubris is both a group and a species. While, the atabapo is a member of the lugubris group, it's not part of the species name. I'm unaware of any species name "lugubris atabapo" existing.

Back
Top Bottom