pike cichlid confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommccoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last week I got a convict and a JD, both female, and yesterday I got a firemouth male and a pike. I have a 55gal and I have no plans for more tankmates.

My problem is the store said the pike would be 12", fit fine in my tank and get along with everyone else. After some research the only variety that resembles my fish is a Venezuelan which gets 20+" and is crazy mean. I called the store about this and they said no, it was a striated, which as far as I can find doesn't exist, and they stick by the quoted size.

Could someone please tell me what I could be in for? And should I take it back? I don't believe in stunting a fish's size to a smaller tank, and I was already apprehensive with it possibly being 12". I am already seeing slight aggression from him, usually the others just stay away from him because he's so much bigger though. I really like the diversity of the group (and he is a definite plus to that) but I don't want a gigantic fish that is going to outgrow my tank and swallow its friends whole, doesn't matter how cool it is. Please help me

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130120_215543.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130120_215543.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20130120_215603.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130120_215603.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 106
I'm not very good with pikes but looks a like juvenile Strigata which will hit between 14-18". This should give you a place to start to researching him.

I would also give you a friendly warning about the current stocking conditions in a 55g, that tank would be overstocked by the pike alone much less any addition fish. A 72" aquarium would be the smallest I'd attempt that current stock long term.

Unfortunately you've been given some bad advice by a shop who's strictly looking to sell fish, which is fairly common and most people have been there at one time or another.

With that many fish between deteriorating water conditions and aggression is certain to issues. Depending on fish size and temperment is may be ok for a short time but inevitably there will be some issues.

After that's been said Welcome to AA.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. I've been using the site for a while as an unregistered observer ;)

I agree that if it does get twice the size I was told I'm way over stocked. Even at 12" I was pushing it because I figured he would have trouble turning around. Getting the pike was a half impulse purchase because I wanted a couple more to go with the first two but I was tired of them all looking the same. I also read that they will fight more if they look similar, and a pike looks nothing like the others so I thought bingo!

mommccoy said:
Thanks for the welcome. I've been using the site for a while as an unregistered observer ;)

I agree that if it does get twice the size I was told I'm way over stocked. Even at 12" I was pushing it because I figured he would have trouble turning around. Getting the pike was a half impulse purchase because I wanted a couple more to go with the first two but I was tired of them all looking the same. I also read that they will fight more if they look similar, and a pike looks nothing like the others so I thought bingo!

Hukit's identification is correct, that is the Crenicichla strigata pike. It's not the largest pike, but it's a member of the large growing lugubris group.

I have this species and he's grown very quickly. I wouldn't recommend keeping this one in your tank setup. There are tons of mid size pikes that would better suit your setup.

Thanks, 5x5, for your input. I've read you are the resident pike expert.

I hate to see it go, I don't even know if they will take it back, luckily its only been a couple days. I'm new to my area so I'm not really sure where another private fish store would be to get a smaller one.

Since I am new to cichlids, and finding info on pikes without a specific one in mind is difficult at best, what would be a good, non-expert, 6-10" substitute?

In TN my well water was so acidic my tank wouldn't cycle, took a couple mo.ths to figure it out. Now in WA my water is mod hard and 8.4 pH, I can't catch a break. So far LFS help has proved the least helpful and detrimental on a couple occasions. I read books and cull internet info and even with the same species the info varies wildly. It's freaking frustrating for someone trying to do it right. Why does the info not stay remotely similar?
Thanks

mommccoy said:
Thanks, 5x5, for your input. I've read you are the resident pike expert.

I hate to see it go, I don't even know if they will take it back, luckily its only been a couple days. I'm new to my area so I'm not really sure where another private fish store would be to get a smaller one.

Since I am new to cichlids, and finding info on pikes without a specific one in mind is difficult at best, what would be a good, non-expert, 6-10" substitute?

In TN my well water was so acidic my tank wouldn't cycle, took a couple mo.ths to figure it out. Now in WA my water is mod hard and 8.4 pH, I can't catch a break. So far LFS help has proved the least helpful and detrimental on a couple occasions. I read books and cull internet info and even with the same species the info varies wildly. It's freaking frustrating for someone trying to do it right. Why does the info not stay remotely similar?
Thanks

One of the most difficult time periods of fishkeeping is the beginning when you are overwhelmed with new and inconsistent information and have to sort it all out.

Regarding your water quality issues, where is your natural pH and what steps did you take to get it do high. The danger of intervening with your local pH is that it's difficult to maintain an altered pH and will make your water changes more complex.

Back to the pikes. There are over 100 similar looking pikes and they are hard to identify, do they have been placed into groups to simplify identification. Lugubris is the group of large ones that you want to avoid. Any other group would likely work in your tank, since they stay under 12 inches.

Two favorite groups are the saxatilis and wallaci (dwarfs). The best of the wallaci group is the compressiceps and the saxatilis all look fairy similar. Be aware that fish stores almost always misidentfy species or do not even bother to label them beyond "pike". The saxatilis are easy to identify because they have a humeral blotch called a shoulder spot. The big pikes will never have this trait.

Good luck.

Cool thanks. My pH is that high out of the tap - hardness too, perfect for cichlids I thought. I live in western Washington and my guess is the fresh water has taken a lot of properties from the nearby salt water. I plan on having a tetra tank again so I took my parents city water, which is 7.2 and pretty soft, but when I. Got the tank up to cycle and it is back at 8.2 - no clue. I will test to see if it's still soft and try wood or a buffer I guess

Back
Top Bottom