Pike cichlid information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewis addison

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need to know some information on a new pike my girlfriend has bought me. How big they get, what type of pike it is and what tank mates can I have ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446487968.044091.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446488003.377849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks ? The tank is 5ft x 25 x 24 (length x Hight x depth), I have an Oscar in there about 4inch and a metallic Jewel cichlid at 4 inch. I did have 6 loaches in there but this pike soon hunted them down. I would like to know if my Oscar and Jewel will be okay in there the Jewel doesn't come out as much anymore seen as the pike has taken his territory and the oscars just seems abit jumpy when the pike swims around

Kind of looks like a crenicichla sp atabapo red to me. Wait for HUKIT and Gillie to chime in as well. What did you purchase it as?

Many of the large piles are highly predatory and aggressive. I would not personally keep one with your listed fish, especially the jewel.

My girlfriend bought it me, she just said it was a pike ? which doesn't help because I would like to research it abit.

Yeah I'm not sure if I want to keep it, I can see he is very aggressive I like the Jewel and the Oscar and would be gutted if he killed them

Just looked at the pics again. Is the pike showing signs of HLLE? pics can be misleading at times.

The pet store should take it back for in store credit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I took him back after I finished work and got a refund, so I've now got a happy tank ?, all the fish are back out of hiding :)

Sweet man! Happy campers now.
Tell the girlfriend to buy you another tank and accessories. Leave little notes around the house of stuff you'd like. A subliminal message. Tis the season!
You'll do the fish purchases from now on haha.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you by chance ask them what it was? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did she pay for it

Could also have been c. Strigata. IDing pike cichlids is tough because they're such a taxonomic mess right now

Not sure what it was called I'll check at the weekend and let you know, she paid £45 for it. I think my next purchase will be some new loach seen as the pike ate 8 of them!!

Back
Top Bottom