Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Planning to populate

How many six inch African Cichlids (Malawi) should I put in a five foot, 104 gallon tank?

MSDdivers
Komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Six inch is quite big, maybe something ranging from 10 to 25 for a 100gal. I know from experience that heavily stocking helps out in african tanks. Maybe some cichlid experts could give more insight. What type of malawi exactly are you trying to stock?

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishanatic View Post
Six inch is quite big, maybe something ranging from 10 to 25 for a 100gal. I know from experience that heavily stocking helps out in african tanks. Maybe some cichlid experts could give more insight. What type of malawi exactly are you trying to stock?

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...
I chose 6 inches because I was told by the aquarium shop that this is the average size. As for the type of fish, I’m not decided yet. I do like Electric yellow Labidochromis Caeruleus, Pseudotropheus Demasoni and Inca Apistogramma Apistogramma Baenschi. I’m not even sure if they can be mixed.

I am new at this.

MSDdivers
Komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see, sorry , africans arent my strong point but for a beginner, you should start with Mbuna Africans. You can go on Aqadvisor and check those fish out or look at other peoples mbuna tanks. I know the electric yellow is a stunning mbuna fish and a lot of mbunas has vibrant colors. Best of luck!

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...
Old 11-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
I chose 6 inches because I was told by the aquarium shop that this is the average size. As for the type of fish, Iím not decided yet. I do like Electric yellow Labidochromis Caeruleus, Pseudotropheus Demasoni and Inca Apistogramma Apistogramma Baenschi. Iím not even sure if they can be mixed.

I am new at this.

The yellow lab demasoni are African cichlids from lake Malawi and are Mbunas so they can go with haps and peacocks but it's very difficult for beginners. I would get rid of the inca and maybe go for some cherry reds and red fin borleyis to offset the blues and yellows and get more diversity(the males that is)

Tags
ate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com