plant luck or ways of planting for cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarisaB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What if any plants have you guys had good luck with keeping with cichlids? Or does anyone have creative ways of planting them to avoid the cichlids up rooting them?

My male leaves vals and java moss alone pretty much. Any others though you guys have experience with being "tough" ?

i have had no problems with Java fern, nearly any type fo anubias. + the val as you have mentioned. However this mean keeping the lights on for a little too much each day which leads to some algae.

I just use silk fakes.

Java ferns and anubias can be attached to tank decor and are mostly unedible-- everything else will probably wind up as floating decor or dinner.

Anubis...thats a good idea....I love anubis and didn't even think of that as an option. But it sounds right. Oh yeah and its one african cichlid.

Cryptocorynes, Java fern, Anubias, Aponogetons, Lotus, Swords, and Crinums are some of the many plants that I have found African cichlids will not eat. Note: this does not mean they will leave them completely alone either. A properly motivated cichlid can easily destroy just about any plant if it does something to offend him :p

Back
Top Bottom