Plants for African Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, the anacharis experiment doesn't seem to be going too well- my labs have fun yanking it out and carrying it around my tank. The Amazon Sword seems to be maintaining, though, even without any lights (I have an open top tank). Seems like the tank gets enough ambient light during the day to keep it happy.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good background/middleground plant that will survive the conditions in my tank? I'm thinking about Java Fern, but I'd like something that will grow taller, rather than bushier. I know that's a tall order (no pun intended)

Thanks!

-J

most mbuna setups don't include plants, but if you have your heart set on them, look for Vallisneria varieties--if you can find it get Vallisneria gigantea (if you have a tank big enough for it)

I agree with shawmutt
I think with Africans it is better to go for the more grassie type plants ie....Vallisneria, Saggittaria, or plants with very thick leaves like Anubias.

Yeah, I was thinking anubias too, especially since you don't have any specific lighting. They do well in low light. I have some anubias frazieri that are about 10-12" tall. There is also an anubias gigantea that grows pretty tall.

You can tie those to a rock to keep the labs ripping them up and carrying them around.

Back
Top Bottom