Plants for african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryleyman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to add a little for nature to my tank can any one plz help me with plant selection?

Anubias would be your best option. They have thick leaves and are native to Africa.

bettaowner said:
Anubias would be your best option. They have thick leaves and are native to Africa.

K il ask my LPS if he has some

One of the few plants that are endemic to the lakes is a species of Val that grows well in the high PH. Some members in my club have had good luck keeping it with Lake Tang fish but Mbuna and Haps tend to tear it out unless it's well established before adding fish. Some people have had luck with java fern, moss and Anubis however it always becomes shredded or up rooted in my tanks.

Mogurako said:
One of the few plants that are endemic to the lakes is a species of Val that grows well in the high PH. Some members in my club have had good luck keeping it with Lake Tang fish but Mbuna and Haps tend to tear it out unless it's well established before adding fish. Some people have had luck with java fern, moss and Anubis however it always becomes shredded or up rooted in my tanks.

I have six peices of bamboo in it right now

If it helps my Africans try to eat plastic plants.They really get stuck into them.Thats why I never tried live plants I envisaged them being torn to shreds and didn't want the mess in my tank.Who knows though it may work for you.

garfy said:
If it helps my Africans try to eat plastic plants.They really get stuck into them.Thats why I never tried live plants I envisaged them being torn to shreds and didn't want the mess in my tank.Who knows though it may work for you.

I really don't care if they get ripped up and stuff it's there for what ever my cichlids want to do with it

garfy said:
Then go for something cheap.That way it won't cost you a packet if they tear them up.

What is cheap?? I really don't know very much about plants

Ryleyman said:
What is cheap?? I really don't know very much about plants

Anubias and java fern seem to be fairly inexpensive and also the first choice of many African Cichlid keepers.Ive seen them posted by many on here.

Back
Top Bottom