Plants for African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dotrskeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 100 gallon tank with assorted cichlids (Maingano, Auratus, aceii, labs, demasonii)
I was told that they would eat any plants or would dig them up but is there something I could plant? How about Anubias since they don't need to be rooted in the substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would honestly say just try it. Anubias have pretty sturdy leaves and rhizomes so it might work out. Maybe get a barteri and tie it to something and see if it lasts. Some have luck others don't.

I've never had cichlids but aren't they in the higher ph range? Anubias can also handle and thrive in those conditions.

29g Community

3g Betta

I have Anubias in my 65g cichlid tank and my labs,demasonii, and Bumblebees all chew on the leaves! But I usually just trim them and they look fine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I personally don't even bother with plants, I've tried them all when I had mbuna and they only survived 1 or 2 days before they looked like a tornado hit them LOL. Just try growing algae on your rocks, it'll provide you that pop of green color + it's a natural snack for your cichlid :)

My Africans say Yes, please send more plants!
Also, don't try to aquascape your tank, just stick the plant in, and they'll put it where they like it lol.

Back
Top Bottom