Please help. 55 gal is now ready?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

Took both samples of water to the fish store today for testing.

29 gal (10 fish) Ammonia .25 (was darker than yellow almost green), PH good, Nitrites 1.0

55 gal (2 fish) Ammonia 0, PH 7.6, Nitrites 0

Seems the 55 gal is ready? However I was told to let it run another week then add a few fish.

Here is my problem.

The Blood Parrot was hiding from the Tilapia in the 29 gal and they have been going lip to lip this week. I want to move him or her, unsure, to the 55 asap.

I ended up moving a few more fish because it seems the equilibrium of the 29gal went off as soon as I removed a fish so I moved a few more into the 55gal. I have 5 in the 55 gal. How many can I safely have in the 55 gal at this time? It is a new tank, only two weeks running with 2 fish, gravel, filter, media from 29 gal tank (which is only 7 1/2 weeks old).

I know I have too many fish in the 29 gal but if left with less than 10 fish they start fighting and chasing each other.

Currently the blood parrot is swimming up and down in the 55 gal and all the fish in the 55 gal look happy and are swimming nicely.

What should I do to keep both tanks safe?

Oh, purchased another fish today...I couldn't help it :( I thought I was buying a female. She is small though. She is in the 29 gal with 7 others.

Fish 13 total: African cichlid tanks

8 fish in 29 gal

7 African cichlids 29 gal
1 Tilapia Butterkoferi 29 gal (4 1/2 inches)

5 fish in 55 gal

4 African Cichlids 55 gal
1 blood parrot 55 gal

Thanks!

Last edited:
just do daily water changes for a week or so, and make sure you do test, and also if u can.. use an old filter media from another tank

Sorry to burst your bubble but a 29g seems too small for african cichlids, but that depends on the type. What kind were you planning on getting?

Welcome to AA. :)

Sounds like you already have all those fish in your 29g. What types of African Cichlids do you have? I agree with Wayne....29g is a bit small for most African Cichlids.

Also, Tilapia get up to 18" and need a tank way bigger than a 29g. If you leave it in the 29g too long its growth will be stunted and it will eventually die an early death. Not good. A 6ft tank would be the minimum...and to accommodate its adult size, you'll want a tank that is atleast 24" from front to back. I hope you are able to properly house this guy.

You should do some water changes in the 29g to get the ammonia and nitrites down...those levels are dangerous to your fish. It is the result of overstocking...since the tank should have cycled after 7 1/2 weeks.

You may be able to house all the fish in the 55g depending on what they are and how big they are. If so, I'd move the filter from the 29g over to the 55g to help it cycle and you'll need to do daily water changes and test the ammonia and nitrite daily.

Thanks, I understand now about the size and housing for the African's. I got the 55 for them. Considering upgrading to a much larger tank next year. (Can't afford to right now...lots of money already laid out first for the 29 gal and now the 55 gal) I will need to save for it.

I have:

2 Johannis both males
2 Mbunas ( I think...not sure. They are ice colbolt blue with black around mohawk and fins...very pretty. I male and 1 female
2 peacocks think they are females...not sure
4 zebras
1 looks like zebra in the face but body has think stripes

All African's around the same size (4 inches). They aren't too big but they aren't small either.

Blood parrot is about 4 1/2

Tilapia (growing by the minute it seems! (4-5 inches)- Big mistake :(
I didn't realize his needs when I purchased him and he was such a small cute little bear. I need to separate the fish from him because he is getting bigger and is snapping at them.

I will take him to the pet store and donate him very soon. He really is getting too big and fast. He (Sam) doesn't look free to swim in the 29 so the writing is on the wall for him. Seems any cichlid is too big for the 29 gal. Not sure what I can even put in that tank anymore ;(

55 gal has a dirty filter on it from the 29 gal and a new 305 Fluval.

Since I am removing the others to the 55 gal I am afraid of leaving Sam with just one filter. I have two filters on the 29 gal. One (6 weeks old) and a new 205 Fluval.

I seriously cannot believe how big the fish are getting already in such a short period of time! It concerns me that I started with them 3 inches and I can't catch up to them. Meaning, they are outgrowing my tanks (probably even the 55 gal) so fast and I don't even have a fully cycled tank yet.

Thanks so much for your help.

It is ok to wait until you donate Sam the Tilapia to the store to move the Cichlids over. I wouldn't wait too long though. Keep doing water changes while you have an ammonia and nitrite reading in the 29g.

It is certainly amazing how fast Cichlids grow. :)

For the 29g once you get the Africans moved over, you could still do Cichlids, just smaller ones. You could go the South American Cichlid route and have a pair of Apistos or Rams with some other fish....or you could have some Tanganyikan (another African lake) Cichlids like shell dwellers...Multis or Brevis are good ones. You could add some dither fish to the top part or just stick with the Cichlids. Julidochromis are good fish for a 29g as well...another Tang. Cichlid genus. There are certainly options for Cichlids...they just may be harder to find. ;)

Thank you so much for the advice. I always believe in listening to those who have already gone through the heartache. Why should I as well? lol, I don't need to suffer in order to learn. I just want to get this right.

Well, today was a difficult day for me. I decided to move the crew over to the 55 gal and place another "old" filter on the 55 gal as you suggested. The 55 gal now has a new 305 Fluval and two "old" 30's. Theres 130 gal power on the 55 gal. Once the levels are stable I will place one of the 30's back on the 29 gal.

As I moved the fish over, they began fighting in the 29 gal so I just moved them all over. It was a difficult decision but I did it. I tested my water and it tested good for ammonia and nitrites so I will continue to monitor.

Something odd happened though. My plan was to leave Sam in the 29 gal but it really didn't make sense knowing he needs more room but I was going to until I found him a good home (I asked at the pet store today). As I moved over the last fish, Sam became withdrawn. He swam to he top of the tank and sat in the bubbles looking over into the 55 gal (never did that) then sat on the ground of the tank. He looked so depressed. I thought for sure he would be happy to be alone, but nope, he just sat there. I couldn't take it. I figured I'd made enough mistakes already so I scooped him up (and he didn't exactly run aggressively from me) and put him in the 55 gal with the others. Oh my goodness! They were all very happy. I've never seen something like that in my life with animals. All the fish swam back and forth in the 55 gal and just played. Wow, the 55 gal is so much different than a 29 gal. Now these guys can swim!

I decided after that I can't separate Sam. These guys are family. I have a 90 gal (my sons) I can prepare or I will get the 125 gal sooner than later. There's no use in wasting time. I know how to transfer the fish safely and I really enjoy the group I have. I also heard the more room they have (Africans) the bigger they can grow so it all makes sense.

For now I have a few baby africans in the 29 gal :) I don't know what it is about African's but I'm hooked!

Thanks again!

Lisa

Skip the 125g and go for a 180g or a 220g to accommodate Sam's full size. That way you won't have to upgrade again in the near future. You want something atleast 24" from front to back since he could get up to 18" long....a 125g is only 18" from front to back.

Back
Top Bottom