Please Help, I am getting more discus.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am very happy to say that I am going to get some more discus.

At the moment I have 4 in a planted tank (33 gal).
I have two that are jaw locking and dancing every day but getting interupted by the others. My plan is to move these two into a tank of there own. (33 gal).
So I am going to buy 2 more to put in my community tank so there are again 4 in this one. This means I will have a 33 gal for the two that are pairing off.
What should the tank consist of. At the moment the tank has sand substrate, plastic plants and pebbles. This is because of the tanks previous owners.
It is running on two box filters and I am going to add to sponge filters :).
So should I turn this one planted or bare bottem. Do you think that by removing the suspected pair that the chances of them spawning etc ... will increase and there bond will be stronger.

Please advise.

It's always easier and healthier to have as bare a tank as possible for discus. If they are in fact male and female, there is a better chance of spawning in an islotated tank just for them. I still think you are rushing things a bit. Females will spawn at about 1 year old, males 18 months.

So that meens I can purchase another 4 and do this tank quite similar to my other :).
Thank you.

What Pufferpunk says is true for adults. A 33g is great for raising 4 or 5 juveniles to the 4 inch stage. After that a minimum of 50g would be needed to continue a good rate of growth. Always wise to have a plan. :wink:

Esprcially since water quality & low bioload are so important to these sensitive fish--hence the daily partials.

Back
Top Bottom