Please help identify new family members.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently aquired a new 120G tank with fish and would like to know what they are so that I may properly care for them. Attached are pictures to help. One fish did not make the trip.:( The others are alive and well. Any help identifying would be appreciated. Also tips on feeding and care would be helpful I am new to cichlids.

Attachments

• DSC00164.jpg
    DSC00164.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00176.jpg
    DSC00176.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 139
i believe but dont quote me on this that the bottom is a firemouth and maybe the other one to in the top right pic, not sure about top left pic.

The first pic (assuming it is dead since you laid in out) looks like a Sciaenochromis ahli aka Electric Blue Haplochromis since it has a gold lower fin and the white stripe along the top fin. That would of been a gorgeous fish.

The first pic (assuming it is dead since you laid in out) looks like a Sciaenochromis ahli aka Electric Blue Haplochromis since it has a gold lower fin and the white stripe along the top fin. That would of been a gorgeous fish.

Yes, unfortunately the blue one did not make the short trip. The person that gave me the tank (115G I found out) and the fish spent alot of time chasing it around the tank and I think stressed it out too much. When I got home about 20 minutes later it was already dead. But 10 others did make the trip ok, so I am happy about that. Attached is a picture of the new setup at my house. Also in the tank with the 2 firemouths are 4 large silver dollars, 1 ghost knife, 2 red tail sharks and 2 large plecos. They have been at my house for a couple weeks now and are all very happy.

Attachments

• 115G tank.jpg
    115G tank.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 66
i believe but dont quote me on this that the bottom is a firemouth and maybe the other one to in the top right pic, not sure about top left pic.

This is right, the fish on the bottom left is most definately a Firemouth Cichlid, i cannot think of any other cichlid to have a bright red mouth area like this one has, unfortunately i am not sure about the others.

2 redtails? Im surprised the tank isnt a warzone right now

i used to have Firemouth Cichlids and that is what it is... They are both beautiful fish!!!

Don't mix it with an oscar! I had a firemouth when I was 14 and insisted on getting an oscar, who eventually killed my firemouth. Now that I'm 26 I have OCD about keeping my fish happy in my tank without them getting picked on.

The tank is actually really happy right now. One of the red tail hides all the time in a rock and the other is out and about. The two fire mouths pal around and the 4 silver dollars just kind of prowl the tank. No one seems to even notice the knife, he just does what he wants. I have noticed lately that the two plecos are fighting for dominance. The are about 8" and 9". I have never seen this before. I will probably have to put one in my 84G.

i believe the one on the top right looks like a very very very old convict.

Back
Top Bottom