PLEASE HELP! Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K8Shores

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone please tell me what is growing on my Dempsey's eye??!!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1418201575150.jpg
    1418201575150.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 1418201586747.jpg
    1418201586747.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 1418201604806.jpg
    1418201604806.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 164
  • 1418201622390.jpg
    1418201622390.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 156
Is an eye even still there? Looks like a fungus of some sort has overtaken it.

Cloud eye, water quality related.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

@ppo8820: any idea how to treat it?

@Brookster123: It's not cloud eye. There is actually something growing off of it.

Ok, what is the water like? Tank size? Wc? Details. Could be fungus.. either way it's waterr quality related..

Vacuum the gravel, preform minimum of a 75% water change and dose some API Erythromycin.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is a 75 gallon. I just did a 50% water change on Sunday night and the Dempsey was fine then. Last night is when this showed up. There is also an albino oscar and a lace catfish in the tank with him. They are both healthy. I retested my water and the tests are all coming back good.

I take pride in maintaining my aquariums. Besides this one I also have a 125 gallon with a tiger Oscar and another albino and a pleco. I've had them since they were barely 2 inches long and now they almost fill the tank. Then I have a 55 gallon reef tank, a 36 gallon with 3 African cichlids in it, a 20 gallon platty tank and a 10 gallon nursery tank. All of those are healthy and well. Only the Dempsey has this.

That's great! I'd do what MOG says..

I've had better luck with Jungles or Tetras Fungus Clear over API's.

You mean Tetra's Fungus clear? Jungle doesn't exist any more, man you old guys never let go of stuff ;-)

On a serious note though Tetra/Jungle Fungus Clear is also another good option, the name of the product escaped at the time I posted that this morning.

You mean Tetra's Fungus clear? Jungle doesn't exist any more, man you old guys never let go of stuff ;-)

On a serious note though Tetra/Jungle Fungus Clear is also another good option, the name of the product escaped at the time I posted that this morning.

Wally World still sells Jungle products and they're cheap! I know everyone else no longer sells them but they've always have it stock and the product isn't expired.

And respect your elders young man!!!

Wally World still sells Jungle products and they're cheap! I know everyone else no longer sells them but they've always have it stock and the product isn't expired.

And respect your elders young man!!!

Looks like I'm taking a trip to Walmart ....

Update: I just realized that my lace catfish has a broken and exposed spine on one fin. I'm thinking that he and the Dempsey might have run into eachother. Which would explain what I am seeing sticking out of the Dempsey's eye. Is there anyway to remove it and can I still use the jungle tabs to help with what I'm now thinking might be an infection in his eye?

Yes, both medications HUKIT and I recommended contain erythromycin which is an antibiotic. That fish needs medication, it's very likely that it will lose the eye of be blind on that side.

This is also a good example of why certain fish from drastically different environments shouldn't me mixed.

Thank y'all for all the help.

@Mogurako: I researched good tankmates for my lacecat and large cichlids were always mentioned as being good tankmates for the lacecat.

Any update on the JD? That pic really made me cringe the first time I saw it. I was pulling for the poor guy.

Back
Top Bottom