Please help my flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmats

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,
As some of you know, I I had a flowerhorn. Long story short, I had a female with poor phenotype so I decided to swap with a juvi male.

I ordered the male through a LFS and he came in today. When I got the flowerhorn, it was in a bag. Showed great colors at a quick glimpse so I decided to purchase.

When I got home, I noticed his eyes are cloudy. Looks like a white contact or film material over his eyes.
Then, I began to look closer, and I noticed his fins are rotting.

My question is, what do I do?

My water parameters are good.

Do I hope that my water alone will cure the fish? Clearly he was mistreated.

Should I use medication instead of waiting it out?

I don't want you to hear judgements on my choice of fish either, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Only because I know this is going to come up:

PH: 7.8 (just added buffer to raise to 8.0)
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites:0

Been running since November

Im so sorry to hear about this.

0ppm Nitrates?
Double check that, unless you have never had any fish in tank before.

If your using API tester, shake the nitrate testing bottles for around 2 minutes to break it all up inside. And I mean shake and bang them around.

Hopefully you get a reading.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay... But I just put this fish in the tank. My water conditions aren't the cause of his condition, it's the last persons.

Yes I checked yesterday and it read 0 nitrates with a liquid tester. I will check again when I get out of work.

What do I do about the fin rot and cloud eye though?
I think we are getting off track which is why I was hesitant to post my parameters in the first place

Right, and really that was just a sidebar, I realize it isn't your problem but I'm hesitant about posting medication suggestions, will leave that to those more experienced in medicating.

I know both illnesses are caused by poor water quality. When I looked it up online, a lot of sites just said to do water changes. So will he get better now that he is in my healthier water?
Or will I need medication for the fin rot?

The ammonia DOES mean something to this problem. That is going to hinder the healing process, as good clean water will always be the first thing needed to get a fish healthy and keep it healthy. Definitely hit it with a 50% water change as soon as you can

Ok freak. Should I add medication or do you think the better water conditions will clear him up?

I'm not good with meds, I can't advise one way or the other. I'm just a strong proponent on good water quality will heal a good deal of things

Back
Top Bottom